Water Walking for Exercise

I'm close to 70 yrs old, about 100 pounds over goal,:wink: and due to knee replacement and other joint issues I do my walking in the pool. I walk back and forth for an hour almost every day. I have no idea how many calories I burn. Anyone know how to calculate that?

Replies

• dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Here's what I found: You may burn up to 250 calories by walking for 30 minutes in water up to your chest. To burn that many calories you have to move your arms around in the water. (from www.discoverwalking.com/blog/burn-calories-walk-in-water.php)

Good luck!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    I'm close to 70 yrs old, about 100 pounds over goal,:wink: and due to knee replacement and other joint issues I do my walking in the pool. I walk back and forth for an hour almost every day. I have no idea how many calories I burn. Anyone know how to calculate that?

I'm glad someone else answered your question, because I didn't know, but I just have to say I am so impressed that you are doing this. It is NEVER too late for a fresh start. Good luck with your efforts - you have inspired me today.
  • brandymk
    brandymk Posts: 33 Member
    I know water jogging is in the database. That may be a starting point.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    LOL I was just going to post the same thing so I looked for someones input....

Actually I completely agree with Nakedsoul. I have a Polar F-6 HRM that I wear during all of my workouts including swimming. I keep track of the numbers very closely. For me and according to my HRM walking for 1 hour burns much more than swimming. Here are some of the stats I recently recorded from my heart rate monitor = (You might burn more or less depending on age and weight. )

Lake open water lap swimming for 60 minutes = 290 calories burned

Lap swimming in a pool for 45 minutes = 214 calories burned

Swim 52 laps in a pool (44 reg, 8 kickboard) 58 min = 340 calories burned

Walking 60 minutes = 400 calories burned.

*Those numbers are with swimming hard core laps or distance. Walking in water would be less. I was shocked and disappointed to find that swimming burns so few calories but it does.... Hope that helps.

This is what I found from just one person I hope this all helps I would put it under hiking....It seems to give a good calorie burn maybe a little more than what you would burn but it might help
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    I sit on a noodle and do a slow jog. I record that as "swimming leisurely" (as found in the database). That is 245 calories for 30 minutes. Based on previous posts, that may be a little high. However, I still lose weight because I don't eat back the calories I expend exercising. Sixty minutes is awesome! My 50+ year-old knees can't do more than 30. Way to go!
  • pwm235
    pwm235 Posts: 8 Member
    Many thanks to all of you. This is very helpful.
  • pwm235
    Thanks. this is helpful.
  • pwm235
    Thanks so much. I do move my arms while walking, so it's good to know. Thanks also for the website. I'll check it out too.:smile:
  • I water walk, too. I walk 300 steps, jog 300 steps then walk another 100. I have no idea how long it takes, but it's low impact on the knee.