Running and Sunscreen

Options
Anybody have a sunscreen they love for their face that doesn't burn the crap out their eyes as you sweat? Bonus if it is good with sensitive skin. Tired of feeling like I'm running blind for half my run each day.

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in this... I recently purchased an expensive bottle of La Roche-Posay Anthelios because of a recommendation from Consumer Reports but man, it burned bad!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I tried CeraVe ultra light moisturizing with 30 spf this morning on my run and didn't get any eye burn!
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I tried CeraVe ultra light moisturizing with 30 spf this morning on my run and didn't get any eye burn!

I use this sunscreen under makeup every day but the label says not to use it during activity since it's not water resistant at all. For activity I like the No Ad spf 50 sport or the neutrogena sheer zinc. The sheer zinc makes your face look ghostly but minerals are really the most gentle option if you're sensitive.
  • Chesirekate
    Chesirekate Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like Kissmyface sport 50. It's light weight and I haven't had any eye burn yet.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I only put sun cream on nose and cheeks. I tell myself that the sweat build up on my forehead would only wash it off anyways and the sweat itself may act as kind of a barrier. Not been burnt yet :)
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use a hat and only put sunscreen on below my eyes.

Same here, wear a hat and just put sunblock below the eyes.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    coppertone sport works best for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I just use my normal moisturiser which has SPF 15.

You could also try one of the powder kinds or the sticks?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use 'origins perfect world' broad spectrum SPF 40 on my face; origins mega defense SPF 45 and origins ginzing broad spectrum SPF 40. I use all three, switch it up, wear sunhat when possible. They don't burn my eyes and I have to be able to see at high elevations.

@Kalex1975 I read that same consumer report and it said that walmart's equate ultra protection SPF 50 was the best bang for your buck, rated at the top with expensive LaRoche. I like origins because it doesn't burn my eyes. It's not cheap but a jar lasts a long time...44 bucks. Ayup.

• bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really like the Sun Bum sun screen stick for my face. I don't have sensitive skin so I'm not sure about that, but it doesn't glog my pores. I am a sweater and it never gets in my eyes. It also smells a amazing which is helpful for running.

I received a Rodan and Fields sunscreen as a free gift that is really great. It absorbs really fast. My friend with fair and senstative skins uses it every time we are outside. However, I think that unless you are already purchasing Rodan and Fields it would be a little expensive.
  • sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. Also, try to apply 20 minutes before you head out so it has more time to be absorbed. Good luck!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    hat and sunglasses ... anything else will just end up in your eyes ..... but the burning I can almost live with ... its the finishing my run at the swimming pool to meet my daughter and trying to get drinks out the fridges .... cold, wet condensated bottles and sweaty, slippery hands from applying suncream ...... you cant hold on to the drinks for love nor money
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup. Ditto hat and sunglasses.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    apply an hour or so before you head out. When I used to spend all day out in the sun riding my bike, the second thing I did after a bathroom break was apply sunscreen. Allowing it soak in not only eliminates the eye burning, but I found further applications weren't needed.

I use a hat as much as I can, but when hiking on a glacier/snow I use avon's face sunscreen.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Anybody have a sunscreen they love for their face that doesn't burn the crap out their eyes as you sweat? Bonus if it is good with sensitive skin. Tired of feeling like I'm running blind for half my run each day.

powder foundation and/or a cap.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena sunscreen is the best, non sweaty
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I burn if I even think about the sun. I use the spray on sunscreen from Trader Joe's or Target--it dries quickly and I haven't had problems with it. (Maybe I'm a masochist, but I just close my eyes, hold my breath, and spray...you could always spray it on your hand and rub it on your face instead.)