Amazon Kindle.

Options
MaitreyeeMAYHEM
MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
I already have an ipad but I don't like the "ibooks" because they don't have as many to choose from. I might get a kindle, should I go Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi with 3G? Should I even get a kindle?

My parents share a nook but I want my own reading thing. The Wi-Fi only is $114 while the Wi-Fi + 3G is $140

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was wonering the same thing. I am going to get my Grand Son one for his birthday. He loves to read. I was looking at Barns and Noble and Amazon. I seen that amazon is running a special for $114.00 but don't know if it is an older model they are trying to get rid of.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Its the same model its just that when you turn it off ads pop up.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The $114 model has advertisements.

The big con with the 3G is that it searches for a connection and if it can't find one it will drain your battery. If you're going to be reading on the go at places that won't have internet, it might be the right choice for you. We have two of the non-3G wifi only and bought ours before the model with the ads. We just load our books at home on our wifi in anticipation of being away so we've got plenty to read while we're gone.
  • lucythe
    lucythe Posts: 33
    Options
    I've had my Kindle for a couple of years and I love it. There are loads of free books and games available and thousands to buy, all at various prices. Honestly, I get more free stuff than anything else. The current model for $114 has these pop-ups and offers that appear randomly, very often. I just bought the $140 model for my son which is also available with either the Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and 3G, same price, $139. He opted for the Wi-Fi only because he did not want the pop'up's. My hubby's friend got the one for $114 with the pop-up's and said it is so annoying, he regrets his choice. Hope this helps a little with your decision.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Its the same model its just that when you turn it off ads pop up.
    Oh! I don't think I'll get that one. He is only 10 and I don't think he needs to be bombarded with ad's. I'll spend the extra money.
    Thanks for the info and the post.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    From the Amazon "Woot" website, I got a refurbished 3G Kindle for $89. It has a full guarantee. I love it, it looks perfect and works great.
    I think the connection type only matters if you download a lot of material(which I don't).
    Remember the "Special Offers" Kindles are cheaper because they have ads inserted.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I have the kindle with 3G. I love it. I have the opportunity to read, just before bed, and have read 15 books since May. I think that I read faster and so far I have read free books, or .99 books.
  • Staffyman
    Staffyman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I went for the Kindle Wi-fi and 3G. I guess the 3g is only really useful if you spend a lot of time out and about where you might not have a wi-fi signal. I just bought it as it might come in useful in the future, better to have a feature and not need it than need a feature and not have it eh?

The Kindle is a good purchase for me as I'm quite an avid reader when I'm in the mood and I just don't have the space anymore for a huge book collection. Now I can have them on one device. There's quite a good collection of free books on Amazon to start off with and also quite often newer freebies will turn up if you keep a sharp eye out!

It's a nice bit of kit!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    By the way, its refreshing to see a young person that takes care of themselves.
  • Alanismans0n
    Alanismans0n Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the plain ole Wi-fi one. I love love love it. I have wi-fi in my home for my laptop so I connect it when I need to and shut the wi-fi off when I don't. I've had it for almost a year now and I have no idea how many books I have. They have soooooo many free books and there are new ones all the time. I haven't found many books that I couldn't get on the kindle. :)
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    Hi my sons bought me a wi fi kindle for my birthday in june,i was a little apprehensive because i love the feel and smell of a new book but i must say i love my kindle, there are thousands of books to choose from.
    i throw mine into my bag and is doesn't take up a lot of room, i use it every day and i always take it with me when i go to bed (love reading in bed ) also it is so easy to download books, i'm a 64 year old grannie and i find it so easy. so should you get one?. YES
    also you can get some really great skins for them.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I've had my Kindle for a couple of years and I love it. There are loads of free books and games available and thousands to buy, all at various prices. Honestly, I get more free stuff than anything else. The current model for $114 has these pop-ups and offers that appear randomly, very often. I just bought the $140 model for my son which is also available with either the Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and 3G, same price, $139. He opted for the Wi-Fi only because he did not want the pop'up's. My hubby's friend got the one for $114 with the pop-up's and said it is so annoying, he regrets his choice. Hope this helps a little with your decision.

That does help me with my choice thank you!!! I hate pop-ups. lol I have Wi-Fi at my house and on campus at my college so I can download stuff from there. Can you only read when your in a Wi-Fi zone or does it work anywhere?
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Once you've downloaded it, you can read anywhere.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    We are on our second kindle (they don't like being stepped on....), and am happy with just the wi-fi. Once you download the book it is on the kindle, so you only need wifi when you want to purchase a book.

I, too, was skeptical - but I LOVE it!

One note - our library offers ebooks, but they are not compatible with the kindle. Darn.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    The Wi-Fi is the same price as the Wi-Fi with 3G for ads. The 3G one comes in white, sorry I'm just picky. I bought the ipad two months before the ipad 2 came out and I can just kick myself for that. lol I love my ipad but it does not have a great book selection plus they cost more. I use it more for a stereo and as a mini laptop.
  • ttlavoie
    Options
    If you have an IPad then you can just download the kindle app and get the books that way. I agree IBooks doesn't have a good selection of books. :)
  • loopylinny
    Options
    The Wi-Fi/3G is only needed to download the books. Once you have them on your device you can take it anywhere
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    If you have an IPad then you can just download the kindle app and get the books that way. I agree IBooks doesn't have a good selection of books. :)
    you have to buy the kindle first and then sync it to your phone, ipad, laptop or whatever device you have. I'd already researched that.
  • Staffyman
    Staffyman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got the Kindle App for my iPhone long before I got my Kindle. The books do sync between the devices but you definitely don't need a Kindle to use the Kindle App for the iPhone so I can't imagine it being different for the iPad.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    oh well maybe I'm dumb and can't figure it out. I'll have to figure out how to work it. Thanks for the advice!