I'm really stuck on what I should eat or cut out - diary is open

Options
I would appreciate some advice for food I could eat. I'm just over 200lbs and I'm 5ft 3 so I have a fair bit to lose. Can someone give me ideas on what to eat. I am happy with my huge plate of salad as a lunch and won't remove that. But anything else I'm happy to change :)

Replies

• heartsaver81
    heartsaver81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey there. My hubby and I take one day a week and meal prep. Breakfast is always eggs but sometimes we put veggies w meat or meat/egg/potatoes. Lunch is salad, usually chicken salad. Dinner is usually chicken w a veggie or enchiladas, pasta... Etc. You can always add me if you want more help and motivation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i had a look in your diary, and it looks fine. your fat is a bit low sometimes, but other than that its fine as long as you wont get bored eating the same thing all the time?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    like i said in your other thread, eat foods you like in portion sizes that fit you calories and macros. eat some fruit and veg cos its good for your health.

This ^^^ pretty much sums it up, stick to your calorie allowance, try to make sure you get at the very least the recommended amounts for protein and fat, log accurately (See Most Helpful posts in Getting Started for advice) and consistently.

The key to weight loss is to have a sustainable plan, cutting out or including certain foods is not necessary for weight loss. You want to choose a way of eating that you can stick with for the rest of your life.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad thanks ok I will most likely get bored eventually so I wanted to try different food. It's just when people are divided on what you should or shouldn't eat I get confused. Like people said don't eat rice then others says you can eat a small portion. Now I feel I want to cut rice out completely and add more meat like chicken with veg etc :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad thanks ok I will most likely get bored eventually so I wanted to try different food. It's just when people are divided on what you should or shouldn't eat I get confused. Like people said don't eat rice then others says you can eat a small portion. Now I feel I want to cut rice out completely and add more meat like chicken with veg etc :)

think about changes that you can make long term. are you happy to not eat rice any more? if you are then fine, if not, keep it in your diet.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 thank you I like the sound of that! So I'll change up a few bits so I won't get too bored as you're right I'll need a way of eating that'll do me the rest of my life. And I don't wanna get bored eating the same stuff :)
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you like...if you find it hard to be full on small portions of high calorie food, switch some of the food out with salads. This week my dinners has been: Ryebread with egg/cheese, BBQ (spareribs, coleslaw, sausage, potatoes), leftovers- ended up being coleslaw and potatoes as my son stole my sausage, and Lasagne.
    Most of my dinners are below 500 ckal, except the BBQ evening where we had guests:)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat the foods you like and make it work with your calories.

as much as i may like salad, i only eat a couple a week. easy to burn out on (at least for me).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    eat the foods you like and make it work with your calories.

as much as i may like salad, i only eat a couple a week. easy to burn out on (at least for me).

i usually have salad 3 x a week, but i'm getting bored of it... need to find some different ingredient to make it more exciting. roasted butternut squash was a nice addition this week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Very low carb meals like that just feel wrong to me. I did reduce rice (and pasta), but just to reduce calories.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Eat everything unless you have an allergy or religious restriction. Just keep your intake calories lower than what you burn off.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can still eat rice, use whole grain so you get the fiber and vitamins that white rice lacks and measure your portion to fit calorie needs. Try quinoa or amaranth for an alternative too. Tuna fish if you like is easy to make a batch and get 2-3 servings for lunches or even a light dinner.
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a go to breakfast so that the 4 year old that lives in me can't drive me crazy. Usually I have Fage yogurt and fresh fruit. But another person who's been on for years has eggs, bread, avocado, cheese, etc. for breakfast usually. Whatever it is, it's all about eating healthy food (not candy) and paying attention to the macros - fat, protein, carbs, fiber, sugar, etc. I recently showed MFP to my doctor and he adjusted the % of carbs, protein and fat in my daily diet. I'm glad I show him my results when I see him twice a year. It's another layer of support.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lantana411 wrote: »
    I have a go to breakfast so that the 4 year old that lives in me can't drive me crazy. Usually I have Fage yogurt and fresh fruit. But another person who's been on for years has eggs, bread, avocado, cheese, etc. for breakfast usually. Whatever it is, it's all about eating healthy food (not candy) and paying attention to the macros - fat, protein, carbs, fiber, sugar, etc. I recently showed MFP to my doctor and he adjusted the % of carbs, protein and fat in my daily diet. I'm glad I show him my results when I see him twice a year. It's another layer of support.

macros are about satiety, candy can be eaten if you make it fit into your calories,while eating healthy is for health you can still eat what you like in moderation(if you can moderate it) its still all abou the calorie deficit for weight loss
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Try new foods. Look up recipes for a particular ingredient or cuisine type, most recipes online have calorie counts built in so you get an estimate (weighing your own ingredients will give you much more accurate info). If you like Mediterranean foods, look up "low calorie Mediterranean food recipes", if you want beef, look up "low calorie beef recipes". Try a new recipe every week or two and see how you like it. Also, look up recipes here and you can see calorie counts as well. Also, play with spices. Chicken can be made 1000 different ways depending on the spices used and style of cooking.

Basic good nutrition would revolve around a lot of veggies, complex carbs (whole grains, potatoes, legumes), and lean protiens. But, there's nothing wrong with a moderate amount of snacks as well. It's all about what you can add into your meals and make into a habit.