I want to be FIT AT 50

Options
This August I’ll be turning 51. I need to lose some weight, but moreover I want to build some muscles. A little difficult ehh?? Some advices??

Replies

• toddaaronphoto
    toddaaronphoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose fat quickly, I don't know a faster way than using the Ketogenic diet. Also, the keto diet spares muscle because of a hormone (glucagon) which rises as insulin is lowered. It blocks the breakdown of muscle, so you won't lose the muscle you have while attempting to lose weight quickly.
    As for building muscles, find a solid weight lifting program... Generally, using lower weight and doing a higher number of reps (where you can get about 10-15 rep per set) is considered the way to increase muscle hypertrophy (size) whereas using much heavier weights number of reps (where you can only get 3-5 reps per set) is considered the way to increase strength with limited gains in muscle size.
  • KLC3354
    KLC3354 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, just stick with it.
  • ecf2xtreme
    ecf2xtreme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My keto results were pretty mixed. I did initially lose 11 lbs in less than two weeks. Then it came right back. I mean following the diet scrupulously, I went from 118 back to 126
  • ecf2xtreme
    ecf2xtreme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In less than a week. So I went to a gym, got a nutritionist as well as a trainer. They told me to stay off the scale. I’m on a different diet, doing strength 3 days and taking classes 2 days. I’ll find out next week how my percentages have changed. I can tell you that my body is changing.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Do you actually want to have bigger muscles, or do you just want to look more muscular/defined?

weight loss and muscle gain are hard to achieve at the same time, so I would focus on losing weight/fat first. Make sure you're eating sufficient protein and following a progressive lifting program to help maintain muscle. You may find that losing fat makes you look leaner and achieve the look you're after. If you want bigger muscles after that, make that your goal.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't try too much right away - I decided to try to get super fit before turning 40 last year and ended up with a torn tendon in my hip! Aiming at fittest year ever at 41 now - a bit more sensibly!

As for what to eat, I don't know that a massive overhaul is necessary (a la keto), just track what you are eating, eat back your exercise calories, and generally try to be sensible. There are a lot of great posts here with a wealth of information - maybe have a look at the stickied posts for the most useful. Good luck to you!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My advice is be careful if you are going to start a weight training program- much like lemongirlbc I injured myself by being too zealous- and set myself back over a year with an injured and then frozen shoulder.