CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 That guy is hilarious. :lol:

Agreed. :laugh:

Beat me to it. Love this channel.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Doterra is like a cult these days. I hate all MLMs but this one is particularly dangerous with some of it's ridiculous claims. But that aside - essential oils will not help you lose weight. Eating less than you expend will mean you lose weight.

Exactly! One of my friends sells it and just posted about using the oils instead of "chemical" flea/tick treatments. So dangerous as lavender is NOT going to keep those little buggers off pets!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Doterra is like a cult these days. I hate all MLMs but this one is particularly dangerous with some of it's ridiculous claims. But that aside - essential oils will not help you lose weight. Eating less than you expend will mean you lose weight.

Exactly! One of my friends sells it and just posted about using the oils instead of "chemical" flea/tick treatments. So dangerous as lavender is NOT going to keep those little buggers off pets!

I wouldn't use them to get RID of fleas or ticks that are already there, but peppermint can help repel them. (But Lavender won't :wink:) I use eucalyptus and citronella EO to repel mosquitoes. It works pretty well. Might not be as effective as deep woods deet or something, but repels most of them. It's nice to use in the evening to walk the dogs and I don't want to spend the rest of my evening stinking like bug spray. The "naturals" lines of bug repellant is based on EO's. They are pretty effective. I'm definitely not a fanatical oil sales rep, but they are more then just smelly fragrance. A lot of the chemicals and medications we use today were derived from plants. EO's contain those same compounds. Which is why some people can react so strongly to them if they have allergies to certain types of plants. It's also why it's important to research any interactions with medications before using them. They are essentially concentrated herbal extracts.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I wouldn't use them to get RID of fleas or ticks that are already there, but peppermint can help repel them. (But Lavender won't :wink:) I use eucalyptus and citronella EO to repel mosquitoes. It works pretty well. Might not be as effective as deep woods deet or something, but repels most of them. It's nice to use in the evening to walk the dogs and I don't want to spend the rest of my evening stinking like bug spray. The "naturals" lines of bug repellant is based on EO's. They are pretty effective. I'm definitely not a fanatical oil sales rep, but they are more then just smelly fragrance. A lot of the chemicals and medications we use today were derived from plants. EO's contain those same compounds. Which is why some people can react so strongly to them if they have allergies to certain types of plants. It's also why it's important to research any interactions with medications before using them. They are essentially concentrated herbal extracts.

It's also important to research the certification/verification that the EO is as it's labeled and is food safe. Which as I understand YL and Doterra haven't always done the best job at.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    OP seems to have disappeared
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

There's a big difference between using a bit on your clothes or shoes (or skin I guess) and putting them on a pet that will likely ingest it through the process of grooming themselves. They can also cause unpleasant skin reactions on pets.

You are correct. I thought about mentioning that, but didn't want to get too wordy. You really have to be careful about what you put on your pets. They can be much more sensitive then us humans. Cats for example can't process them out of their bodies like we can. The oil compounds can build up and make them sick. Or so I've heard anyways. If I use them on my pets I always use them diluted by a lot with olive or coconut oil or something like that. After making sure that if they lick it, it won't make them sick.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I use them in mixes for cleaning the house and in the washing machine when cleaning cloth nappies but you couldn't pay me enough to drink it and it certainly would have no effect on weight loss, that's what a calorie deficit is for
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t really understand what essential oils are for. I hear people talking about them and I’m just like huh?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don’t really understand what essential oils are for. I hear people talking about them and I’m just like huh?

Watch the video!

https://youtu.be/Q_Ecmciv9zI
  • beachbody4l
    beachbody4l Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wait like people actually INGEST oils? How do they not get sick, vomit, etc?
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wait like people actually INGEST oils? How do they not get sick, vomit, etc?

I don't know. You only ever hear the 'I feel so great!' from these people. But here's some fun facts about ingesting essential oils:

- the only deaths caused by aromatherapy have been caused from ingesting the oil.
    - ingesting essential oils (I'm assuming this depends on the type of oil, eg, which plant it's from) can do damage to your oesophagus. Funnily enough, I do see LOTS of doterra sellers mentioning they 'had a bit of a sore throat today, so I gargled this blend'. Argh!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Some are also toxic to cats and dogs. Don't ingest them and do your research before you diffuse anything around pets.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I use them in very small amounts for DIY skin care products (like deodorant and muscle rub) but would never ingest them. I sat through a "health presentation" with a Doterra rep and was pretty astonished at the ridiculous claims. It was like a Tupperware party where she passed out really fancy booklets and the requisite order sheet. I scooted out of the room with some excuse before I was forced to buy anything. The rep said she was ingesting many of the oils for her health, but she really didn't look at all well. :/

Another thing about ingesting the oils - they say to mix with water, but oil and water don't mix. So, you're pretty much just ingesting the straight oil into your digestive system at a very concentrated amount. How could that be good for anyone?

I've purchased some nice essential oils from the NOW company through Amazon and my local health food market. Good quality and the prices are very reasonable (like $10 for a 4 ounce bottle). Compared to Doterra starting at around $20 for 1/2 ounce. Some of their tiny little bottles are over $100! Serious price gouging and baseless claims.