Avocado tip

Options
ketobucko
ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
A lot of you probably all ready no this but for anybody who doesn’t,if you eat your avocados by the half like me,if you put the other half in an air tight container along with half an onion and put it back in the fridge it will keep it in perfect condition for hours n hours

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Air is the biggest enemy of cut avocados. Here is what I do:

*leave the pit in the uneaten half
    *drizzle lemon on lime juice on cut half
    *apply plastic wrap being sure that it is touching as much of the cut surface as possible
    *put in ziplock bag with a much air as possible

Using this method, my cut avocado halves last days (that is multiple) in the fridge.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

*apply plastic wrap being sure that it is touching as much of the cut surface as possible

Using this method, my cut avocado halves last days (that is multiple) in the fridge.

thats how i do it
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I keep the pit in the half I'm not eating and plastic wrap it. Doesn't the avocado absorb the onion taste?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I keep the pit in the half I'm not eating and plastic wrap it. Doesn't the avocado absorb the onion taste?

This would be my concern, too since fat tends to absorb flavors.

I just make sure I wrapped the unused half so any cut edges are 'sealed' by the plastic wrap. No air = limited oxidation. As stated above, adding acid before wrapping extends the shelf life even more.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole dang thing, never goes off then!
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is what I do

• ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Did you say you leave it in ziplock with as much air as possible or least amount?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    ecs1516 wrote: »

Did you say you leave it in ziplock with as much air as possible or least amount?

It should be "least" but I didn't realize my typo until after my 1 hour allotted time to edit expired LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I keep the pit in the uneaten half and wrap it in plastic wrap. I always eat the the other half the next day as I typically eat 1/2 an avocado almost daily.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ketobucko wrote: »
    A lot of you probably all ready no this but for anybody who doesn’t,if you eat your avocados by the half like me,if you put the other half in an air tight container along with half an onion and put it back in the fridge it will keep it in perfect condition for hours n hours

Nope. It will not.
    The only sure way is to add something acidic, lemon / lime juice, and tightly wrap OR pour olive oil on a plate and place avocado face down.

Well I must be extremely lucky with mine then cos I do that with mine and come back to them over 12 hours later and it’ll be in exactly the same condition as when I cut it,and no it doesn’t taste of onion at all
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The most useful tip on avocados for me is refrigerate them right when they are starting to get ripe. You can get an extra week out of them. Once cut, I just eat them. I throw away so few avocados now.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole avocado or two. It's not a bad meal with some form of protein.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    Eat the whole avocado or two. It's not a bad meal with some form of protein.

I do I have 2 a day mainly but half with each of my 3 main meals and the other half as a snack,if I don’t have the snack I keep it in the fridge as mentioned at the top until the following day
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks