Can I eat whatever I want?

Options
2»

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Also I have found some greasy delicious foods aren't worth the bother of saving up calories for or doing extra exercise.

I used to eat delicious poutine nearly weekly before I joined and now it just feels like too much effort to make room for and I don't miss it at all!

I'd rather spend extra calories of having a bit of wine and chocolate every night and eating at least 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with breakfast.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    That’s very very good to hear! Thank you so much for that :) (I am trying to cut out the junk, but I do love me some chocolate and a greasy cheeseburger from time to time ;)

If you eat clean for a long period of time and decide on the greasy cheese burger -- BE ADVISED, IT IS NOT PRETTY.

I had eaten very clean for about 5 months. I looked at my husband and said -a burger sounds really good right about now. We went to our favorite tavern and got a burger. I ate half. Before I got home my stomach was in knots. I laid in the fetal position for about 3 hours. I looked at my husband and said - for the love of GOD make the second half of that burger disappear before I get up!

Round 2 was about 3 months later. I ate a burger and nachos on a Sunday. It messed with my stomach so much I had to call in sick the following Monday. Luckily, my boss had the same experience a few months earlier and understood.

I do this on purpose now and then just to get things 'moving' when they hadn't been as regular for a bit. It hasn't hit me to the extent it did you, but I don't eat 'clean' all the time, either. Sorry it hit you so hard!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    HarryPro wrote: »
    In theory, yeah. But keep in mind that a Whopper is like 700 calories. I find that a lot of people get sticker shock when they first start really looking at the calories in something. You may like a Whopper but then when you realize how much you're cutting out to have it its less appetizing somehow.

But treat yourself by all means, if you don't allow something here and there you'll just grow to hate the diet and abandon it. Good luck.

Oh yeah! I know that feeling. I used to love Frappacinos, then I saw the calorie content. I haven't had one in a very long time.

Now I budget around 200 calories for my evening snacks. Tonight was 2 Tim Tam's at a total of 190 calories, so they fit my calories for the day.

My aussie friend got me addicted to tim tams. Unfortunately for me it is either like 5+ or none so I save them for special times.

I freeze all my sweet snacks and have them one at a time. It's not too easy to chew through a frozen Tim Tam, so I usually have just one (occasionally 2).
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you eat clean for a long period of time and decide on the greasy cheese burger -- BE ADVISED, IT IS NOT PRETTY.

I had eaten very clean for about 5 months. I looked at my husband and said -a burger sounds really good right about now. We went to our favorite tavern and got a burger. I ate half. Before I got home my stomach was in knots. I laid in the fetal position for about 3 hours. I looked at my husband and said - for the love of GOD make the second half of that burger disappear before I get up!

Round 2 was about 3 months later. I ate a burger and nachos on a Sunday. It messed with my stomach so much I had to call in sick the following Monday. Luckily, my boss had the same experience a few months earlier and understood.

What a great reason not to eat so "clean." I had something similar happen but it wasn't because I was trying to eat a certain way it just kind of happened. I realized my mistake so now I work in more "dirty" food so I don't get sick.

Yeah, I'm kind of off the wagon at the moment and trying to get back on. I haven't had this issue in quiet a while. LOL. I think a bi weekly pizza makes everything right with the world :D
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    A few other things.

I can't (or prefer not to) drink full strength soft drinks anymore. They taste way to sickly and syrupy to me now I much prefer the "diet" version regardless of calories. Gimme a Coke Zero or Pepsi Max any day.

I also prefer skim milk over the full cream version these days. Tastes really do change.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

What a great reason not to eat so "clean." I had something similar happen but it wasn't because I was trying to eat a certain way it just kind of happened. I realized my mistake so now I work in more "dirty" food so I don't get sick.

Yeah, I'm kind of off the wagon at the moment and trying to get back on. I haven't had this issue in quiet a while. LOL. I think a bi weekly pizza makes everything right with the world :D

I had to learn the hard way, too. I went high raw for a week back in April because I hadn't been feeling my best. It made me feel much better and focused on my weight loss, to the point that I could eat a slice of pizza. I was sick for hours after eating it.

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    You can make room in your day for a bit of chocolate every evening if you want. As far as the greasy cheeseburger, assuming it's with fries, you may have to plan a few days in advance for that. Just save up 100-200/day for a few days, then have at it :) When you want something that's more calorific than usual, eat lighter earlier in the day/week to make it fit. I use a weekly average rather than only looking at my day, so I have room for wings/fries or whatever else. I ate 2800ish calories yesterday, but my net average for the week is still about 1300.

Interesting! I'd like to understand this better. Is there somewhere you can view your weekly average on this site/app? I didn't even realize "rolling over" calories was an option!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    @amycollier88
    I haven't seen that option on the site but on the app if you go to your diary and scroll down to the bottom there is a "nutrician" button, from there you can select what you want to view i.e calories and the time span - day or week - you can then see your stats for net week and average.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I'm going to save this thread for the next time someone posts that posters on MFP promote eating a diet of doritos and donuts and ignoring nutrition.

I'm with everyone else, eat what you want and be sure to get enough nutrition. If you don't make your diet sustainable for the long run, you will have real problems succeeding.

Won’t matter. People will still claim that if every single post doesn’t add the caveat “yes you can eat whatever you want BUT you need to get adequate nutrition too” then the poor confused OP and others reading along will only focus on the posts that say “eat whatever you want calories are all that matter for weight loss” and ignore every single post stressing the importance of satiety and nutrition.

Apparently those people think OP and others are not smart enough to read through all replies and draw sensible conclusions from what is implicit as well as explicit in the responses.

Note that I don’t think that it’s clear that this OP, like most who ask this question - don’t have any intention of eating a diet of nothing but “junk” food but rather want to know if some calorie dense foods can fit into a varied diet - to which the answer is a resounding YES!*

*Nutrition and Satiety is important!
  • starfighter65
    starfighter65 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes !
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza once a week, at least 1 or 2 meals contain french fries. I eat hostesss apple pies once a day for a treat (100 calorie size) I eat my normal "bad" American diet, just less of it.
  • cegal3
    cegal3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    In theory, yeah. But keep in mind that a Whopper is like 700 calories. I find that a lot of people get sticker shock when they first start really looking at the calories in something. You may like a Whopper but then when you realize how much you're cutting out to have it its less appetizing somehow.

But treat yourself by all means, if you don't allow something here and there you'll just grow to hate the diet and abandon it. Good luck.

This kind of thing was helpful to me when I really started watching. "I want a whopper, but is it worth 700 calories? Wait, I like this other burger as much, and it's "only" 500." is now happening in my mind.