counting calories for home made stuff

Options
How do you guys figure this stuff out? Like I love to make soups. But how can I calculate the calories in say a cup of home made soup? Its going to be different every time isn't it? I always put various veggies in and some times meat or noodles if there are no potatoes. is there a general guide line for this or what?

Replies

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you would measure everything to get each item's calorie count, add it up, and divide by 1 cup servings. Personally, if I make homemade soup that has a lot of veggies in it, I don't always include the veggies.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe calculator in the food section. Enter your recipe, determine how many servings it is and it will calculate for you. IMHO this is one of the best features on this site! I will go back and alter recipes for different quantities of meat and things but generally don't bother with veggies since they are so low and usually very similar.
  • jametw
    jametw Posts: 4
    Options
    use the add a new recipe feature. you can input the ingredients and the site will calculate the calories. the recipe tab is under the food tab, i believe.
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I put the recipe down in the recipe section and just label it w/veggies or with out. this way you can just come back to it the next time you enjoy some!
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    I agree that the recipe feature is one of the best on this site. But I count veggies. It really gives you the flexibility to change up the recipe. I like to make everything myself so this is a great way to keep track and vary the recipe according to what I have around Check it out.
  • mom2enlp
    mom2enlp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can also enter the recipe on MyPyramid.gov. It will give you all the nutritional information, as well as the glycemic index on it and the inflammatory index on it (important for me because I'm arthritic!).

Best of luck to you!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Measure everything you put in, and then enter it into your recipes. I love that feature on here! You just put in the ingredients, how much of them, and how many servings it makes, and it will give you the total calories and calories/serving. You just need to be accurate in how much of each ingredient you're using. And I'm like you, some of my recipes change from time to time, but I just edit the recipe if I make it a little different (say, because I'm out of an ingredient or use a sub) and it's pretty easy. It can take a little time to input everything, but I think it's worth it. Then, if you do use the same recipe again, or say make extra to freeze, all you have to do is go to your recipes to add it next time you enjoy your home made soup! Good luck!
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing and found the recipe tab one day its the best thing there I agree.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Count me in as a huge fan of the recipe tool on this site. I originally started on a different website, but found their recipe tool to be limited. So glad I found MFP. I cook pretty much all of my meals, so having this resource is invaluable.
  • chattyKathi
    chattyKathi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe calculator in the food section. Enter your recipe, determine how many servings it is and it will calculate for you. IMHO this is one of the best features on this site! I will go back and alter recipes for different quantities of meat and things but generally don't bother with veggies since they are so low and usually very similar.
    i did not know that! thanks!
  • chattyKathi
    chattyKathi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you guys rock! thank you!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's not going to be many calories in the veggies - if I'm making something I make sure I add the most calorific ingredients - oil for softening an onion, say. But the recipe builder is better for getting all the nutritional info.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I do this and just go back to my recipe and amend whatever bits I need to each time. Saves loads of time.
    I even do this for little fruit boxes I make up for work. It's much easier to click on one recipe than a whole load of seperate items