Anyone dealing with pregnancy & weight-loss?

Options
My husband & I decided about half a year ago that we were going to start trying in August to get pregnant... Well it's August...

I joined MFP in March at 233lbs & now I'm down to 202.8lbs..... I don't know what to do! I'm over weight, I don't want to get pregnant, gain baby weight, and have to try to lose with all over again.

But at the same time I really want to have another baby. I want a girl so bad! And if the next one isn't a girl, that means if I'd have to wait even longer to try for a 3rd baby. So do I wait? Or not wait? *sigh*

I guess I should wait until next year to get pregnant, after all the extra weight it gone. But I was really looking forward to getting pregnant again.

The other way I see it is this... If I just have all the babies, then I can lose all the weight after the last one & not worry about losing weight anymore after each baby =P

I'm not sure if I came on here to let out the sadness, or for advice, or just support? Sorry.

Also, If I were to get pregnant, how do you deal with your cravings during pregnancy? Last pregnancy I craved EVERYTHING... We played the game "Clue" & there is Mr. Plum.... so wanted plums.... It was bad!

Replies

• agallant22
    agallant22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have another baby now. Don't wait because of your weight. Either way you will gain while pregnant. What is the difference if you gain a bit now and then continue to loose after or if you deliver or if you get down to goal in a year and gain again when you get pregnant. Either way it will probably be a year + nine months of pregnancy before you are at your goal weight and will stay there.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    If you are overweight to start with and pay attention to what you eat during pregnancy, you may even end up weighting less after delivery than what you started with - it happens to two of my friends ! Putting on extra fat during pregnancy isn't a necessity. So I'd say don't wait any longer if you are dreaming of a new little bundle of joy :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    1st off-congrats on what weight u have already lost! This is a hrd choice for u I'm sure-if ur heart was truelly set on getting pregnant soon then id go w/ your original plans. You might not get pregnant right away anyways-so u can still eat healthy and exercise as normal. If you would get pregnant soon watching what healthy foods u take in will help w/ pregnancy weight and cont to exercise too will help. Key is to not let yourself go just because of pregnancy. U will have less to lose after pregnancy then. Good luck
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Congrats you on your weight loss so far! And don't feel sorry! You have very valid concerns. And I know the feeling of wanting it now when you make the decision to have another baby. Have you talked to your OB about this? You'll definitely have an easier pregnancy if you lose some weight first though and fewer risk factors for complications. I think It'll also be easier to conceive if you lose weight. If you are overweight when you get pregnant, the recommendation will be to gain less weight during pregnancy. They may follow you more closely and you might benefit from talking with a nutritionist to devise a healthy eating plan to make sure you don't gain too much but are eating enough to keep baby and you healthy. And you know a lot of that weight comes off when baby is born too!

And as far as having a girl goes, there are some timing tricks you can try when you are TTC to get a girl. I forget exactly what it is but if you check out cafemom.com there are alot of discussion groups around that topic (and I'm sure there are plenty of other sites devoted to it too) Good luck!
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    i was just ttc a few months ago and i am currently in limbo/lack of menses, i was in the tww but realized i probably didnt O so there probably isnt a tww going on.. i know my weight plays a big factor in my cycles being so irreguar, hopefully yours arent! i want to lose and get to a healthier size before ttc again i also have hbp so the wait for me is necessary. whatever you decide i wish you well!!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think that's a very personal choice only you and your husband can make. I'm in the process of trying to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight (plus some) before we start trying again next year. But personally, I'd go ahead and start trying again if I haven't reached my goal by the time we want to start ttc. Both weight loss and getting pregnant can be unpredictable at times, and I would wouldnt want to delay the process of getting pregnant by waiting to get to my goal weight if I was also very eager to have a baby. But that's just my opinion.

If you're interested, check out the Fit for Future Families thread here...it's a group of ladies getting/staying in shape while planning for having kids. I would link to it, but I'm on my phone...but you can search for it.

Either way, best of luck in weight loss and getting pregnant!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are currently trying to get pregnant, we've been trying since May. I know how you feel, last year I was at the perfect weight to get pregnant, but the stress of getting married contributing to gaining back almost everything I lost. At my skinniest last year I was 165, currently I am 206 (but I have lost 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks).

I had the same dilemma, I don't want to get pregnant at this weight, but it can take a long time to get pregnant, so I would be really upset if I delayed it for a year, and then it took yet another year to get pregnant. Especially if I spent this next year not being very successful and didn't lose much weight!

So while we're trying to get pregnant, I'm also trying to lose weight. Maybe the two will coincide so that by the time I get pregnant I'll have lost a decent amount. Plus, my periods have been a little wonky at this weight, so I'm thinking until I lose more and my periods become more regular, there is a chance I won't even great pregnant at this weight. I will talk to my doctor of course, but even once I do get pregnant, I would like to continue to try to lose some, at least in the very beginning. I know they say you are supposed to diet when pregnant, but I would think that as long as I am eating what I should be eating, eat healthy food and getting exercise, that's got to be better than being fat when pregnant. Good luck to you!
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    I would just try. I was 250 when I get pregnant and only gained 6 lbs. On my sons one month birthday I was lighter than I was the day I got pregnant.

Good luck!