Whole Wheat Bread Recs?

Options
I am looking for a whole wheat bread (or with nuts, seeds... whatever) that still has some flavor, but doesn't become a dried out piece of cardboard when toasted. Oh... is there one that isn't 150 calories or more per slice? I just haven't found a brand in the store worth buying a second time. Anyone have recommendations?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    why limit yourself to wheat bread?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    In threads like these people often recommend Dave's Killer Bread, but I'm not familiar with the calorie count.

My whole grain brands are Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. The latter's Flax variety is only 50 cal per slice. However, I eat them to avoid flour, not for taste, which is why I threw out Dave's first ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat the store brand wheat bread. I eat non- whole wheat breads like sourdough.

My dh likes Oroweat oatnut bread quite a bit for sandwiches. I don't know if he has toasted it.
    https://www.oroweat.com/products/sliced-breads/whole-grains/oatnut
  • MishellKay
    MishellKay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2... I am not limiting myself to wheat bread... I do eat all varieties (really love rye bread!), I have just had more issues finding a decent wheat one.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will just state up front that I'm not a big bread eater and never have been. However, I find I like the 647 line because it's only 40 calories per slice and a good source of fiber. It has the same size/taste of a standard store brand bread (I think it comes in both white and wheat). And, if you have an Aldi near you, they have the 'same' thing in their line for half the price.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread personally, but when I did I loved Dave's Killer 21 Grain bread. I buy the 2 pack at Costco and freeze them. That is still what I buy for my husband and kids. They also have a new honey wheat variety; I've not tried it, but the kids LOVE IT.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Aldis has a great bread that is called seedtastic at 70cal a slice. Looooove it with peanut butter!
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use SaraLee 100% whole wheat most of the time. 70 cal per slice. How long are you toasting It?

In fact I just made toast with it this morning, topped with mashed avocado, scrambled eggs, and bacon. <3

PS I also adore a good strong sourdough, and dark rye.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    MishellKay wrote: »
    DX2JX2... I am not limiting myself to wheat bread... I do eat all varieties (really love rye bread!), I have just had more issues finding a decent wheat one.

I honestly kind of like basic wheat bread. My current go-to is Vermont Bread Co. Soft Wheat. Nothing special about it but no HFCS and a standard 80 calories per slice. Supermarket bread is utility bread to me. It's pretty inoffensive but isn't anything I'd write home about. If you get good butter, the bread is almost irrelevant!

If I really want good bread, I'll just grab a loaf from the bakery (or bakery section of Wegmans). I've been on an unseeded rye kick lately. So chewy and delicious. I've also been putting away english muffins like they're going out of style. Nook and cranny goodness.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I've also been putting away english muffins like they're going out of style. Nook and cranny goodness.

Awww yeah. Double toasted for crunchiness and dripping with butter. Which is why they are a treat now and then. ;)
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In threads like these people often recommend Dave's Killer Bread, but I'm not familiar with the calorie count.

My whole grain brands are Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. The latter's Flax variety is only 50 cal per slice. However, I eat them to avoid flour, not for taste, which is why I threw out Dave's first ;)

I love Dave's Killer Bread....I am particularly fond of the 21 grain thin slice which comes out to about 60 calories per slice. But even their normal cut isn't bad coming in between 110 to 120 calories per slice depending on the variety you get.
  • MishellKay
    MishellKay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... your feedback really helps! I am also a sucker for English Muffins and have even tried my hand at making them. At this moment, I have half a dozen in the freezer!

I think I am going to seek out the Dave's Killer Bread: I have never seen it nor tried it, but now I am on a mission!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Dave's Killer Bread - either the 21 grain or Powerseed (thin sliced versions are 60 & 70 calories per slice, respectively).
  • meridethcolville
    meridethcolville Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee multigrain is only 45 cals per slice, and has the softest texture of any I've tried!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee multigrain is only 45 cals per slice, and has the softest texture of any I've tried!

This is what I use, too. You do have to watch it when toasting. It goes from perfect to overdone very quickly.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I like basic Oroweat whole-grain breads -- specifically the 12- and 17-grain varieties and the "Health Nut" (ugh) one. They don't dry out when they're toasted, they crisp beautifully for grilled sandwiches, and I like the little bits of seeds and oats and whatnot you get in each bite. They're 100 or 110 calories per slice, depending on which type you buy.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first loaf of Dave’s Killer Bread (21 grains 60 calories) and I love it. It is so good toasted with a little PB2. I was buying Aunt Millie’s Light, but it is just too light for me. I would rather have more calories and be satisfied.
  • maryvalekingz602
    maryvalekingz602 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    150 a slice? The bread I get is 120 for two slices. Natural oats whole wheat or something like that.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread is very tasty in either the full slice (120 to 130 calories) or the thin sliced (60-70 calories). Manna bread is tasty, too. I look for low sugar content and high fiber in my bread, with occasional splurges for a good quality baguette (flour, water, salt--simply delicious as a treat).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I just make my own. From a plain white recipe, sub 1/2 the flour with whole wheat flour, add 1 oz ground flax and 1 oz chia seeds. Cook, slice, freeze. It toasts ok and lasts as long as I want it to.