Zesty Poached Eggs

Options
ivory88chic
ivory88chic Posts: 13 Member
So this has quickly become one of my favorite lunches. It's not the best thing, but it's certainly not the worst.

-- Poach 2 eggs.
-- While poaching, toast 2 slices of bread (I use sourdough cause I love me some sourdough!).
-- Melt a little cheese -- you can use cheese dip or cube a bit of Velveeta.
-- Spread the cheese on the toast.
-- Place 1 poached egg on top of the cheese on each slice of toast.
-- Spoon some salsa on top of the egg and toast.

This flavor combo is fantastic -- enjoy!

Replies

• samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That does sound yummy, how do you poach your eggs? I really struggle - infact the only way I am able to is to break the egg into a sandwich bag, then pop that in boiling water.
  • ivory88chic
    ivory88chic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That does sound yummy, how do you poach your eggs? I really struggle - infact the only way I am able to is to break the egg into a sandwich bag, then pop that in boiling water.

I had never poached eggs before trying this recipe, so I did my homework: I read lots of "how-to" articles online and watched lots of videos. The problem is...almost everyone does it differently and has totally opposite opinions on different parts of the process. But I found a winner, because the last few times I've done this, my eggs have come out perfectly -- the whites are set, but the yolk is still runny and delish.

So here's how I do it:

-- Get your water (a few inches in a good size pot) to a good simmer -- but don't boil.
    -- Break the egg in a ceramic bowl.
    -- Slowly drop the egg into the center of the pot.
    -- Take a slotted spoon and gently make circles on the surface of the water for a few seconds.
    -- Set a timer for 3 minutes.
    -- Carefully take the egg out with the slotted spoon.

See how that works for you -- I had to experiment many times, but like I said, I've found much success with this set of directions.