MFP Weight Goal ACHIEVED - 95 Pounds GONE - Wheelchair User

Replies

• eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited June 2018
    So inspiring!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your journey.

You look amazing - healthy and happy - you've put a smile on my dial!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    You look fantastic! Congratulations. This is so inspiring. I have been looking for a long time for someone with mobility challenges to show my mom that it can be done. She is disabled. I haven't been able to accomplish what you have done even with exercise! You are a rare gem. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    Your no nonsense approach and steady determination is fabulous. Well done!
  • Jedi_Jo
    Jedi_Jo Posts: 133 Member
    Many congratulations
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Fantastic job!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    @Mindfull -Thanks for this added information. I think it will be invaluable to me to show my mom the next time I go to see her. Wonderful!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I love your last photo. You have a wonderful story and should be proud. Best of luck in the future.
  • fifipink
    fifipink Posts: 7 Member
    Well done! That's awesome and inspiring.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Amazing story, great result congratulations
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Wow! I use a manual chair and have begun this recently, doing what you did, CICO only as exercise is hard with the chair. I love what you've written, you're a great writer! Did the loss impact the size of chair you use? I'm hoping to just fit better into mine, not really shift to a smaller chair. But you lost so much. I'm at 1200 cals a day and going slow and steady. I can't weigh myself right now but am searching for an easy to access wheelchair scale somewhere in town I can pop in and use. How did you handle this part? I can't say how much your words and experience mean to me, you are proof this is possible!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    You are truly and inspiration to those who are in wheelchairs and non wheel chair users.
    I love this from your comment:

2) I use a teaspoon to eat rice, and soups (again, consistent with my reasoning above).

Everything you have written is so true about this weight loss journey and maintaining afterwards.
    Good luck for the future and for giving us more tips that have proven successful to you.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Fantastic, looks like your team is my old hometown! Congrats on such a brilliant accomplishment - a wonderful story of a mind/shift to achieve a fantastic goal - amazing record time as well. Truly inspirational.
  • PradaGx
    PradaGx Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you so much for posting this. Such a huge inspiration for me and hopefully anyone who stumbles across this. You sir, are amazing.
  • MindfulDecision
    MindfulDecision Posts: 42 Member
    bosque1234 wrote: »
    Wow! I use a manual chair and have begun this recently, doing what you did, CICO only as exercise is hard with the chair. I love what you've written, you're a great writer! Did the loss impact the size of chair you use? I'm hoping to just fit better into mine, not really shift to a smaller chair. But you lost so much. I'm at 1200 cals a day and going slow and steady. I can't weigh myself right now but am searching for an easy to access wheelchair scale somewhere in town I can pop in and use. How did you handle this part? I can't say how much your words and experience mean to me, you are proof this is possible!

Thank you Bosque! My post is meant to inspire everyone that this approach DOES work. If it worked for someone who lives a sedentary lifestyle, than surely anyone can do it.

My weight loss certainly affected the size of my chair that I required. I live in Canada and so every 5 years, the government will fund a good portion of the total cost on a new wheelchair. I was lucky in that the bulk of my weight loss happened in the 3-4 year mark of my old chair. I do find my current chair slightly big on me, and will get a smaller one on my next chair.

As for being able to weigh yourself: yes this is a struggle that I had as well. During my entire weight loss journey, I was only able to weigh myself twice. Some options for you would be to connect with a local rehabilitation centre - they typically have scales that you will be able to drive your chair onto. What they will then do is weigh the chair with and without you in it, and then minus that from the total weight (with you and the chair). There are less accurate methods of measuring your weight loss, which would be things like clothing size, how you sit in your chair, ease of transfers.

While it may seem challenging not knowing how much you are *truly* down in weight, I see many posts on this site of people obsessively weighing themselves, and being fixated on that number. The inability for wheelchair users to do that, might actually be a good thing as it focuses us on the bigger picture.

Keep up the great work of 1200 calories a day. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it - this result was a year and 5 months in the making.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Well Done. You look wonderful.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Congratulations! All your hard work has paid off!!!
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member
    You look great and your demanor in your after pictures shows a much different individual. Congratulations to you.
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    You look great! Job well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!