Calorie Estimation Device ???

Options
amy_kee
amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I'm Amy, and I'm 54. I've never owned any device for estimating my calories.

I want one for estimating calories when I walk, and when I go to the gym and get on the elliptical machine and use the weight machines.

Cost and simplicity are also a factor, if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into FitBit? They have a nice variety of options.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight without a device.

Well, I had my computer and a food scale and a body-weight scale.

I do have a pedometer now, because it's fun sometimes. I think it was $15 on Amazon. I only use it on long hikes or day trips.
  • amy_kee
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks @L1zardQueen I will look into FitBit options. Any certain ones you'd recommend? I just really don't know much about picking this stuff out yet. Thank you, I'd be happy to go with a FitBit.

Thanks @cmriverside I tried a couple of pedometers and got frustrated with them not working--but, I think it was my fault. But, they won't cover my gym days on the weight machines and on the elliptical machine. I do use a food scale and a body-weight scale--both digital. I've lost 97 lbs so far and have 103 to go. I just need to get more accurate with tracking my exercise calories now.
  • amy_kee
    Options
    @cmriverside !!!! I went to www.fitbit.com and found an online quiz to help you decide which FitBit was best for you. It came back with 2 options for me. I then checked out what each option offered in each category, and noted each option's price. I chose the newer model one, that was $100 cheaper, and covered everything that I needed, in addition to covering me when I swim laps in the heated pool. Yay! Thank you so much @cmriverside !!!! o:)<3 for telling me about the FitBits. I think the one I ordered was called the Versa. I even got a pinkish color. I've always just had a Casio men's black watch (as men's watches were all that fit me).
  • 3reglamc
    3reglamc Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Amy, and I'm 54. I've never owned any device for estimating my calories.

I want one for estimating calories when I walk, and when I go to the gym and get on the elliptical machine and use the weight machines.

Cost and simplicity are also a factor, if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a wahoo Tickr X and I love it! Price is around $50-60
    You should definitely look it up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I want one for estimating calories when I walk,

A straightforward pedometer will do the trick, either physical or an app on your mobile phone.

...and when I go to the gym and get on the elliptical machine and use the weight machines.

I wouldn't bother. Fitbit or a superior device isn't going to give you anything better for those than the machine itself or an approximation based on time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    3reglamc wrote: »

I recently bought a wahoo Tickr X and I love it! Price is around $50-60
    You should definitely look it up.

Other than it being completely inappropriate for the type of exercise the originator describes.
  • amy_kee
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thank you @3reglamc I appreciate you considering the cost factor.

Thank you @MeanderingMammal I appreciate your advice.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you get a fitbit, stay away from the old Charge. They now have a newer one charge 2. The charge band is not replaceable so if you nreak it your whole device is broken.

I have a charge is how i know. Except for the occasional syncing issues i like the way it calculates calories
  • dahliacats
    dahliacats Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please let us know how you like the versa. I have a charge 2 and it is really fun getting feedback on the calories I'm burning. I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm not sure that matters, as it is accurate with itself (meaning it will always estimate the same calories for the same activity level) and over time you'll be able to tell if it is over or under estimating the calories you are burning so you can adjust accordingly. I love the idea of being able to wear a device in the water. I have to take mine off for water aerobics, and then just estimate the calories I've burned. Thank you for your inspiring story. I have 100 pounds to lose, and it gets discouraging thinking of all the work ahead of me. Your story helps reassure me that my goal is, indeed, attainable.