weight loss

Options
for a couple days this past week i ate around 900 calories, which wasn’t at my goal of 1200 unfortunately. i was really hungry the next two days and ate around 1500 and 1700 and now i’m feeling really guilty. will i gain weight from that? will it set back my progress?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you look at your weekly calorie goal, you're probably still in a deficit - perhaps slightly lower than your planned deficit but a deficit nonetheless.

What did you select for your rate of loss?
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You're eating 1200 calories for weight loss. There is a different amount of calories that will cause you to maintain your weight. I'm betting that's what you were eating at with the 1500 and 1700 days. (Though it's hard for us to know for sure without your stats and goals.) All in all, I think your calories still averaged out to a deficit (weight loss) for the week. Don't feel guilty. It's only natural you were extra hungry after not eating as much. Just make sure you find enough time to reach your calorie goals in the future! It's not good on your body to be under 1200. : ]
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You should not feel guilty. You have learned an important lesson about yourself and that is valuable. If you eat to little it will cause a slight backfire.

You ate 600 to little and 800 to compensate. Assuming everything was logged correctly you have 200 more calories in your week that you didn't plan for which is not even worth thinking about. Another important lesson to learn is that you should not look at your diet in terms of 24 hour intervals. It is better to look at it in terms of weekly averages.

I have to ask because the number 1200 gets batted around a lot here. How did you come to that as a calorie goal?
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that you WILL gain weight from that (and I am not saying you will), what are you going to do about it? Eat 900 again for a couple days .... so that you can be "really hungry for the next two days" again and eat beyond your goal again? What is done is done. If you gain weight you will gain weight, if you hold even you hold even. It is as simple as that.

You will have good days and days where things are not so good. Log them and move on. If you overeat, all it may do is slow down your progress a bit, it doesn't ruin everything.

My daily goal is set at a loss of 2 pounds a week, sedentary and 2160 calories. Most days I am under that or under the increased number that includes exercise calories earned. There have been a few days in the last 60 though, that I have hit 2705, 2800, 3198, 3305 and even one day I was at nearly 4000 calories. What happened to my immediate weight then? Yeah, it either stayed the same or maybe went up a pound or so (if it was multiple days above) but what was I going to do about it? Log it and try to do better going for moving forward. Did it sabotage and ruin everything though? No, in that same period my weight went from 315 to 291. It simply slowed the progress a little and instead of 291, maybe I might be at 290, 289 or 288 today but you know what? I am still at my lowest weight in at least 20 years and am just a few pounds from being 100 down from my peak.

So yeah, it might slow your progress for a day or two. If being perfect everyday meant you would have hit your goal in a year, maybe it takes you 380 days instead of 365.

Without knowing your stats, height/weight/goal it is impossible for us to even assess much about you. If you are 5'7"/160 pounds and looking to lose 30 pounds, it is different than if you are 5'7"/260 looking to lose 130 pounds because with the latter, even at 1500-1900 calories it is still way less than you were eating before and 1200 may be too aggressive for you anyways. It is natural for people to want to lose as much as possible as fast as possible but the reality is that things take time and where you are at to start affects that. In the last 18 days I have lost 10 pounds. If I were 185 wanting to get to 175, the likelihood of that happening in the same time period is very unlikely.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    You have to eat approximately 3500 calories over your maintenance calories for the week (not your 1200) to gain a pound of fat. And don't freak out if the scale bobs up after a heavier day- that's normal due to extra food in your digestive tract and water retention and won't last.