Bulk or continue to cut?

Options
Hey guys i started at 215 pounds and have got down to about 190 and i am 6 foot 2. I’m feeling a little scrawny so should i start to try and gain muscle or continue to try and lose more weight first? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Do you still have fat to lose? Is 190lbs a healthy weight for your height?

Have you considered recomp as a third option?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hey guys i started at 215 pounds and have got down to about 190 and i am 6 foot 2. I’m feeling a little scrawny so should i start to try and gain muscle or continue to try and lose more weight first? Thanks in advance!

What we picture of ourselves isn't sometimes reality. It usually depends on bf% if your under 12% body fat, then you should bulk. If you're over 12%, then cut.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

What we picture of ourselves isn't sometimes reality. It usually depends on bf% if your under 12% body fat, then you should bulk. If you're over 12%, then cut.

This. But it's also hard to tell without pictures.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How do you know your body fat %?
    Something like a dexa scan is more accurate. I usually compare my physique to the images on these photos, but I have many years of bulking and cutting experience, so I know when it's time to stop bulking and cutting. But these photos are useless if you just started lifting because usually you don't strat off with much muscles.

body-fat-photos-1.jpg
  • adamfernandez4986
    adamfernandez4986 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I’m around 16% so I’ll continue to cut thank you for the advice!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    How do you know your body fat %?
    Something like a dexa scan is more accurate. I usually compare my physique to the images on these photos, but I have many years of bulking and cutting experience, so I know when it's time to stop bulking and cutting. But these photos are useless if you just started lifting because usually you don't strat off with much muscles.

body-fat-photos-1.jpg

True I just started and I'm not on that chart lol but that's helpful thanks!

You're totally off the charts :*

But seriously, you're in a prime position to be bulking and I'm so excited to watch your progress.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Dude, awesome progress. I totally get the "feeling scrawny" feeling. I went from 251 down to 192 about five six years ago (with both running long distance and resistance training) and am sitting at 205 right now. I would love to be down at 195-ish....if not 190-ish. I do tend to find that ranges work better for me, but will use 'ideal weight' here.

I was doing power lifting and was eating a good amount of food and was up to 215-218. So, down from that to 205 and I feel scrawny. So, totally get that.

Bulking | Cutting is - usually - all about body fat percentage. Well, I believe that most people would tell you that. I woud further state that most people would tell you that men would start a bulk once they get down around 10% body fat or so and that women would bulk once they get down to 18%-20% body fat.

I would suggest the following: how do you feel right now? How do you feel about gaining some body fat on top of what you currently have?

If you are around 16% then - totally on you - I would likely continue the cut. And, 10% is a general suggestion. Others have suggested 12%. It is that area. Whatever feels best to you.

And, dude....lots of ladies in here who have done an AMAZING job at their bulks and cuts. @Davidsdottir is one of them. Follow that young lady. She might know a thing or two about cutting and, more specifically, bulking. Yes, shameless plug for her.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Dude, awesome progress. I totally get the "feeling scrawny" feeling. I went from 251 down to 192 about five six years ago (with both running long distance and resistance training) and am sitting at 205 right now. I would love to be down at 195-ish....if not 190-ish. I do tend to find that ranges work better for me, but will use 'ideal weight' here.

I was doing power lifting and was eating a good amount of food and was up to 215-218. So, down from that to 205 and I feel scrawny. So, totally get that.

Bulking | Cutting is - usually - all about body fat percentage. Well, I believe that most people would tell you that. I woud further state that most people would tell you that men would start a bulk once they get down around 10% body fat or so and that women would bulk once they get down to 18%-20% body fat.

I would suggest the following: how do you feel right now? How do you feel about gaining some body fat on top of what you currently have?

If you are around 16% then - totally on you - I would likely continue the cut. And, 10% is a general suggestion. Others have suggested 12%. It is that area. Whatever feels best to you.

And, dude....lots of ladies in here who have done an AMAZING job at their bulks and cuts. @Davidsdottir is one of them. Follow that young lady. She might know a thing or two about cutting and, more specifically, bulking. Yes, shameless plug for her.

And now I'm thoroughly embarrassed LOL
  • nowmartin2001
    nowmartin2001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your 6foot 2 190lb and feel scrawny? Christ I'm 6foot 2 150lb and still feel like I could lose/cut more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your 6foot 2 190lb and feel scrawny? Christ I'm 6foot 2 150lb and still feel like I could lose/cut more.

You may want to consider the possibility of body dismorphia. 150 and 6' 2" is at the low end of a healthy BMI.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

And now I'm thoroughly embarrassed LOL

Mission accomplished! :-)
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

You may want to consider the possibility of body dismorphia. 150 and 6' 2" is at the low end of a healthy BMI.

Agreed.

I'm 6'3" and 200lbs for me is a hard floor. Short of a serious illness, that is.

I get that there are differing body types, but I don't buy that they vary that dramatically. At 6'2", I'd think 170lbs or so would be pretty close to the bottom end. If you subscribe to BMI as a good measure, remember that even just using it as a guide is useless for height outliers. The math breaks down more and more the further away from the mid-point you get. Certainly at 6'2" it has crossed the line of utility.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Pics please.

• nowmartin2001
    nowmartin2001 Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Reply to everyone. I do quite a bit of long distance running. I'm on my mobile so I'll try and get a picture up if I can do it.
    As regards to 'body dysmorphia' I don't think I have it. Used to be as big as 19stone about 6+ years ago. Got lose skin around my stomach a bit which may be altering my judgement.