Slipping up as stress increases- suggestions?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I’ve started a new job part time that’s a little more physically demanding. As many minimum wage jobs are. I’ve been more tired, hungry, and sore from working, even though it isn’t every day.

I’m finding my stress levels are creeping up - and my soreness - and with that, my resistance to overeating and treats is lowering. I have had a week where I was over even my maintenance calories. I am more hungry but I am also much more snackish/peckish wanting food as a comfort and all these things.

I find exercise a good stress relief but when I am so sore I can’t do too much. I am also still trying to do what I can.

Any tips on managing these things, re-motivating yourself when you’re tired/sore/grumpy would be appreciated!

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I listen to weight loss podcats on my commute to and from work to help keep me focused.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Sometimes I can’t beat stress eating, so I try to reach for something low cal and high fiber (feel full, and get a lot of calming chewing time lol) - frozen peas, crunchy baby carrots, plain popcorn. Dinners like stir fry are really filling too.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    I am similar. When there are stressful events in my life, or my life load is too hectic or unpredictable eating healthy, eating at a caloric deficit, and exercise go out the window. My focus is to finish school and then I can devote more time to being healthy (I know that sounds stupid). It's hard to find committed people for support to eat healthily in the first place. Eating healthily and properly is the biggest challenge.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    Sometimes I can’t beat stress eating, so I try to reach for something low cal and high fiber (feel full, and get a lot of calming chewing time lol) - frozen peas, crunchy baby carrots, plain popcorn. Dinners like stir fry are really filling too.

This is a great method to help you graze without destroying calorie totals for the day. Only thing I would add is that I measure out a serving prior to needing it (night/morning before workday). This way I only have a serving available to me and can't eat the whole container in one day.

Other suggestion is to find something to keep your mind/hands busy. For me that is video games or cross-stitch. It can be a new form of stress relief, is low intensity so no extra soreness, and distracts your brain from thinking it is hungry.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Is this a short term stress? In other words, at some point will you settle into the new job and be in a better routine? If so, consider eating at maintenance on purpose rather than aiming for weight loss right now (ignore this if you're not aiming for weight loss right now.) Taking a finite amount of time to eat at maintenance in order to manage stress is reasonable.