Weight Lifting + Cardio = Weight Loss?

AJ1416
AJ1416 Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I'm sure there is another thread about this topic but I could not find it an apologize for adding another thread.

Anyway, I've google numerous times about weight lifting and doing cardio for weight loss and have received mixed reviews. So My question is if I should focus on one or the other first for better benefits. Meaning, focus on losing the fat and then build muscle, kinda like a cut and bulk period. Or do both. I'm curious to hear all of your opinions and suggestions and your own workout routines.

Right now I'm going to the gym 5 times a week M-F with the weekend off when I can between my 2 jobs.
Mondays: .5mile warm up run. Bi's and Tri's and a finishing .5mile run.
Tuesdays: .5mile warm up run. Chest, shoulders and back. Finishing .5mile run
Wednesdays: 1 mile run and legs
Thursdays: Same as Monday
Fridays: Same as Tuesday

My goal is to lose 30-40 pounds before I go back to school in September and currently I'm down 6lbs.
5'11'' 237lbs at about 1900 calories a day.
It's a hefty goal, I'm aware of that but I'm determined. So please share your thoughts and own routines!

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    Diet first and for reduced muscle loss, most people report lifting helping the most. Not dieting too aggressively is also key to not losing much muscle mass.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Both are important for fitness so do do both.

Also, it's better and easier to preserve existing muscle than to try to build it back after losing it from weight loss.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    General suggestions:

1. Weight loss (or, conversely, weight gain) is all about caloric deficit (or, conversely, caloric surplus)
    2. Follow a canned training program, one that provides progressive overload. There is a link in here somewhere. I will find it and post it (after the fact)
    3. Recovery is just as important - if not more important - as the training sessions.
    4. Cutting - or loosing body fat - can be done numerous ways (with respect to 'aggressiveness')
    5. Bulking - or gaining muscle mass with the side-affect of more body fat - is usually done when a man's body fat is down around 10% - 12%.
    6. While cutting, ensure that you are on the higher end of protein intake.
    7. Remember to adjust your caloric maintenance as you loose weight. So, maybe every 5lbs lost re-evaluate.

You have - if I am reading things correctly - roughly two months to loose the desired 30 - 40lbs? That would be super fast....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, prioritizing protein intake to preserve muscle.

Exercise for fitness. Your goals determine what workout is for you. I am a competitive powerlifter, so I lift heavy and do minimal cardio.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Lifting while you lose weight will help retain muscle you have (otherwise you will lose way more muscle than necessary along with fat). Once you lean down then you can decide if you want to bulk up more to build more size.

Would you cut after a bulk without lifting? No. So why would you neglect lifting now?

I also agree that both cardio and lifting are important for health and fitness.
  • AJ1416
    AJ1416 Posts: 7 Member

You have - if I am reading things correctly - roughly two months to loose the desired 30 - 40lbs? That would be super fast....

3 months, I know it'll be a challenge but I think I can do it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @SkinnyGirlCarrie - not so skinny dude Cary! Howdy! Howdy! Nice name! LOL!
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    It's diet first. Exercise is beneficial for mental and physical health. This is an anecdotal observation, but if I lose weight through diet alone I tend to look flabbier versus using exercise as a supplemental activity.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Diet for weight loss - Eat less than you burn (try not to go aggressive, 0.5lb-1lb/week will help with muscle retention
    Strength training for muscle retention and bone health (especially important for woman as it helps with bone density dropping during later years)
    Cardio for heart and lung health, plus mental health in my case and to allow more food to be eaten.

My exercise routine is pretty extreme, I do a lot, but I also eat a lot anything up to 3500 Calories a day.

Monday : PT (30min), 5/3/1 Deadlift and shoulder press, tabata (30min) Barbell (like bodypump), 2km run
    Tuesday : PT (30 min), zumba, Insanity, boxercise, 2km run
    Wednesday : PT (30min run focused), sprints (20 min), legs bums and tums, zumba
    Thursday : PT (30 min), bootcamp, 5/3/1 Squats and bench, circuits, 2km run
    Friday : PT (30 min), legs bums tums, 7-10km run
    Saturday : bootcamp, 3.2km run, then rest all afternoon/evening
    Sunday : 7-17km run, active rest

I'm currently eating at a very small deficit and eating all the exercise Calories Fitbit gives me, just not neccesarily on the day it gives me them.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2018
    Guys should cut to about 10% body fat (about 30" to 31" waist on average) and then bulk to about 15% body fat (about 33" to 34" waist as an estimate).
    Rinse and repeat.
    This is because of how the hormones and insulin response work in the male body.

Your waist is measured at the navel in a relaxed state after exhaling.
    DO NOT TRY TO SUCK IN YOUR GUT. Your "pants size" is NOT your waist measurement.
    By the way, this is especially true if you get pants from somewhere like "Old Navy", because of 'vanity sizing'.

Proper nutrition and training (not "diet and exercise") go hand-in-hand.

Follow a strength program that focuses on the barbell compound lifts, for at least 3 to 4 months.
    Something like StrongLifts5x5, Starting Strength, or Bigger Leaner Stronger should be what you are doing - for now.

Make sure you do your cardio on days you do not lift or at least do it after you lift.

You say "lose 30-40 pounds", which makes me presume it is really more like 50 lbs.
    Most people are really bad at estimating body fat percentages.
    But at 35 lbs, losing 1 to 2 pounds per week (on average) could take from 20 to 40 weeks of dedicated training and disciplined nutritional compliance.
    That is just the "cut", by the way. The "bulk" will require more time.

Losing 30 pounds in 3 months would be losing 2.5 pounds of fat per week on average which is completely unrealistic unless you are morbidly obese and 99% compliant with your training and nutrition.
    If that is the case then you need to lose more weight than you stated.

What you *think* you can do has no bearing on the biological processes involved.

In other words you should be thinking in longer terms to reach this particular goal, like around 6 months.

If you don't want to do the necessary work then don't expect much in the way of long-term results.

According to my calendar there are 11 weeks until September 4, 2018.
    So be happy if you manage to lose another 11 pounds of fat without losing any muscle by then.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    AJ1416 wrote: »

3 months, I know it'll be a challenge but I think I can do it.

It's not a "hefty" goal. It's an utterly unhealthy one.

ETA: I fully understand wanting it off sooner than later and, in particular, by a certain day/event/time, but you'll be so much more happy with the results if you lose at a more reasonable rate. Your muscle retention will be better and you'll look better. Plus, it is so much easier to retain muscle than it is to build it.

I think a better challenge would be to work on stifling impatience and making lifestyle changes that allow you to have healthy long-term result.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, prioritizing protein intake to preserve muscle.

Exercise for fitness. Your goals determine what workout is for you. I am a competitive powerlifter, so I lift heavy and do minimal cardio.

This^. There is no exercise in and of itself that causes weight loss. Exercise burns calories. Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. You can't out exercise a bad diet.

Your goal is ridiculously unrealistic and would be unhealthy if you achieved it. You have lots of muscle loss. No way you can lose that fast and have it all be fat because physiology.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm down about 100 lbs, and have not suffered much muscle loss (have actually gained some in some areas). I have been doing both cardio and weights, the weights help to retain muscle, as well as create a better firm underlying the skin, which is good if you get some loose skin. I'd say do both!

However, also pace you loss (not more than 2lbs a week) as if it is too quick may result in all sorts of health problems.