Options
13»

Replies

• hlynne6682
    hlynne6682 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It varies for me.

I've done 16:8 for longer periods of time with good luck because it works with how I prefer to eat (fewer, larger meals)... but it's also triggered/worsened binging tendencies, so I'm currently not IFing at all. "success" is determined by my own discipline or lack there of. Period.

Totally agree. I did IF regularly for about a year (twice weekly, 500 calories or less per 24/hr period) and I lost about 7 pounds and kept it off. But I slowly started gaining because fasting led to binging: "I'd better eat this candy bar now, at 10:30 p.m., 'cause I won't be able to tomorrow..." That's not a healthy mindset. So, I stopped fasting about a month ago. I've gained all that weight back and am back at my starting weight. A whole year of occasionally denying myself came undone in a month, so obviously, IF wasn't the healthy lifestyle I've been looking for. I still believe in it, just not for me right now.
  • oootto92
    oootto92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    oootto92 wrote: »
    I've done IF and OMAD succesfully and 52 days ago I started to diet again and decided to use variations of fasting as tools to shred the fat as fast as I can. Down to 101Kg after 5000Kcal refeed from 113Kg.

I started by just going with 4/20 window, then after a month started to do every other day eating. It felt like *kitten* so I studied a bit and came to conclusion that I needed to eat keto or do longer fasts so my body would start to utilize fat storages better. Did both. I've done a 8 day fast followed by 2 days keto refeed. After that a 6 day fast followed by one day of keto refeed. Now on my 3rd fast and I'm gonna go until Sunday. During these fasts I've come down from 106Kg dry to 101Kg the morning after 5000Kcals of keto food. I haven't eaten any carbs so few kilograms of that is probably also water retention. I have not lost muscle and my stats are the same as 3 weeks ago.

Okay, I gotta know. Did you really eat no food and drink for 8 days? Or were you doing a modified fast, allowing certain foods and drinks? To me, when someone says their fasting, it means they're only drinking water during that time.

Yeah only water and coffee.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I've done IF and OMAD succesfully and 52 days ago I started to diet again and decided to use variations of fasting as tools to shred the fat as fast as I can. Down to 101Kg after 5000Kcal refeed from 113Kg.

I started by just going with 4/20 window, then after a month started to do every other day eating. It felt like *kitten* so I studied a bit and came to conclusion that I needed to eat keto or do longer fasts so my body would start to utilize fat storages better. Did both. I've done a 8 day fast followed by 2 days keto refeed. After that a 6 day fast followed by one day of keto refeed. Now on my 3rd fast and I'm gonna go until Sunday. During these fasts I've come down from 106Kg dry to 101Kg the morning after 5000Kcals of keto food. I haven't eaten any carbs so few kilograms of that is probably also water retention. I have not lost muscle and my stats are the same as 3 weeks ago.

Okay, I gotta know. Did you really eat no food and drink for 8 days? Or were you doing a modified fast, allowing certain foods and drinks? To me, when someone says their fasting, it means they're only drinking water during that time.

But how do you not lose muscle?
  • oootto92
    Options

Why would you?
  • oootto92
    Options

Why would you?

Because that’s what happens in extended starvation. And 8 days is starvation duration

How and why does this happen? I actually think I made some progress in some of the lifts.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Why would you?

Because that’s what happens in extended starvation. And 8 days is starvation duration

How and why does this happen? I actually think I made some progress in some of the lifts.

What sort of progress? That you can lift heavier? Or do you think you created more muscle mass?
  • oootto92
    Options

Why would you?

What sort of progress? That you can lift heavier? Or do you think you created more muscle mass?

I can do more reps with the same weight in leg press and visually my legs look bigger. I've been doing stationary bike at 120bmp few times a week in addison to training the whole body before refeed on weekends. I still am not quite assured that doing resistance training while fasted could lead to muscle growth if you do not refeed right after but I might end up experimenting this week adding few light workouts.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do fast one day a week, definitely don’t starve myself. Keeps my belly nice and flat and I don’t (can’t) eat so much for the next days.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I do fast for the purposes I mentioned. I don't and won't ever do it for weight loss and my day long fasts are usually no more than 3 to 4 times a year. Twice a week is too much and from what I understand this is a means to triggering eating disorders in people with predispositions so please don't encourage others to follow you.

Isn’t a 2 day/week fast essentially just adhering to a 5/2 eating schedule? That’s a legit IF eating schedule isn’t it? *shrug*

I’ve done IF in the past, mostly a 16/8 type schedule, but nowadays I’m not too strict with it and am more like 14/10. Whatever works!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Isn’t a 2 day/week fast essentially just adhering to a 5/2 eating schedule? That’s a legit IF eating schedule isn’t it? *shrug*

I’ve done IF in the past, mostly a 16/8 type schedule, but nowadays I’m not too strict with it and am more like 14/10. Whatever works!

Except that we are talking about 24 hour fasts not a reduced 500-600 calorie days. Even still I am not a fan of the 5:2 diet as it stands. I suppose it is healthy enough for most people physically but I strongly question if it can be a sustainable lifestyle. At 2 days a week how often is one of those deprivation days going to hit on an already stressful day at work? You can only postpone and re-arrange the schedule so much before you run out of time. How bad is it going to suck to have a deprivation day on a weekend or a day off week after week? I am sure it works for someone but it would never work for me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I literally shove food in my face as I'm crawling into bed every night and I'm lucky to make it to 8:30am without eating again. I'm a starvin' marvin'...no fasting for me!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options
    I do fast for the purposes I mentioned. I don't and won't ever do it for weight loss and my day long fasts are usually no more than 3 to 4 times a year. Twice a week is too much and from what I understand this is a means to triggering eating disorders in people with predispositions so please don't encourage others to follow you.

Just because you infer legitimacy to something that's merely a catchy name for a currently trendy way of eating, doesn't automatically make it useful, sustainable *or* safe.

You can chillax sweetie. I don't personally like 5/2, but I've seen it addressed all over these forums by many different people, and it works for some - just because you don't see it as useful, sustainable, or safe for *yourself* doesn't mean it isn't for *someone else* :wink:
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options

Except that we are talking about 24 hour fasts not a reduced 500-600 calorie days. Even still I am not a fan of the 5:2 diet as it stands. I suppose it is healthy enough for most people physically but I strongly question if it can be a sustainable lifestyle. At 2 days a week how often is one of those deprivation days going to hit on an already stressful day at work? You can only postpone and re-arrange the schedule so much before you run out of time. How bad is it going to suck to have a deprivation day on a weekend or a day off week after week? I am sure it works for someone but it would never work for me.

Yes, absolutely.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Just because you infer legitimacy to something that's merely a catchy name for a currently trendy way of eating, doesn't automatically make it useful, sustainable *or* safe.

You can chillax sweetie. I don't personally like 5/2, but I've seen it addressed all over these forums by many different people, and it works for some - just because you don't see it as useful, sustainable, or safe for *yourself* doesn't mean it isn't for *someone else* :wink:

First off, I'm not your sweetie. I'm old enough to be your mom. ;)

Secondly, in my previous post, I was merely pointing out that just because a way of eating is given a catchy name like IF 5/2, doesn't automatically grant it legitimacy or efficacy. :)

For the record, I'm a fan of IF. Been intuitively doing 16/8 for decades. Long before IF became a 'thing.'
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 20/4 hour fast almost 10 days
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I have seen it addressed by several people too. Usually by someone trying it as something new or having tried it in the past and moved on. I haven't seen one 6+ month practitioner yet but that is not to say that they don't exist. My guess is that long term it is probably an even more niche diet than liquid meal replacements.

I will be personally glad when IF goes back to just skipping breakfast and the lunacy of specialized fasting fades away. It irritates me to no end that what I have done for 25+ years is currently a fad with one of the dumbest names for an eating plan. Everyone that sleeps also intermittently fasts...

I have seen it addressed by several people too. Usually by someone trying it as something new or having tried it in the past and moved on. I haven't seen one 6+ month practitioner yet but that is not to say that they don't exist. My guess is that long term it is probably an even more niche diet than liquid meal replacements.

I will be personally glad when IF goes back to just skipping breakfast and the lunacy of specialized fasting fades away. It irritates me to no end that what I have done for 25+ years is currently a fad with one of the dumbest names for an eating plan. Everyone that sleeps also intermittently fasts...

The science of TRF and IF are just getting started. I mean it really wasn't on the radar a few years ago.