Bursitis pain. This really sucks

Options
KatsMeow12
KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I think I may have bursitis in my left hip. For the past three weeks I’ve been feeling it but it has gotten much worse in the last several days. It’s frustrating because I love jogging but now I can barely walk. Ibuprofen helps slightly but not much. Seeing an orthopedist on Tuesday. Anyone else ever deal with this and have advice? I am miserable and worried.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch your piriformis muscles? I developed bursitis in my hips from being confined to a hospital bed. I developed piriformis syndrome those months I decided jogging would be good. Google should have plenty of options. They're free and most can be done in bed.
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    Do you stretch your piriformis muscles? I developed bursitis in my hips from being confined to a hospital bed. I developed piriformis syndrome those months I decided jogging would be good. Google should have plenty of options. They're free and most can be done in bed.

I’ll check that out, thank you!
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had it may years ago (was training too hard), a cortisone shot did nothing - went to a chiropractor that worked with athletes and although it was painful (he would dig into the spot), he got me back on the road and did not try to convince me I needed extended care. Hope all go well - it is not fun to deal with.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »
    For the past three weeks I’ve been feeling it but it has gotten much worse in the last several days.

Were you were jogging regularly before that? If so, maybe your shoes are worn and need changing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I get it sometimes and strangely I've found the best relief to come from stretching my groin. Like go into a deep third world squat and hold it. You'll notice immediate relief when you come up.
  • jclawst
    jclawst Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had issues with that after years in the army and would get bad pains during rucksack marches. Physio has me on stretching exercises for my legs, particularly the outer quads which alleviated it over time. I’d see a doc/physio person about it. unlike if we give bad medical advice, we can’t be sued. But if a doc or physio gives bad advice...well...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical of self diagnosis.
    My mother kept saying the pain in her hip was that. A free days later she fell in the kitchen and couldn't get up. She has a hematoma swelling and putting pressure on the nerve to get leg.
    Spent a couple months in the hospital and rehab. Granted she was 79 at the time.
    Still, be careful. Had a doctor made that diagnosis?
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I get it sometimes and strangely I've found the best relief to come from stretching my groin. Like go into a deep third world squat and hold it. You'll notice immediate relief when you come up.

Same! I did PT for 3 months for bursitis. I always left in more pain than when I went in. It hurt so bad to get up from sitting position, to stand or walk more than 5 minutes, hurt to sleep on my side, I couldn't exercise... it was awful. So, looking for other issues that would cause similar pain in my hips. Turns out tight groin can cause it and that was the real problem. I'm still doing the figure 4 stretches because that was helpful, and have added the squats like above, and others. There are tons of really great videos about groin stretches YouTube that helped me heal. Now walking over an hour pain free!
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ughh, sorry you're dealing with this. Never had bursitis in my hip, but currently have it in my big toe joint (diagnosed by orthopedist 4 weeks ago). I haven't run since June 2 and I'm going crazy. Obviously hip and big toe are very different, but just wanted to commiserate with you and wish you luck at ortho appointment!
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Hey y’all. The doctor said it may be a stress fracture or labral tear. Got an MRI yesterday. Follow up appt on Monday. I did quite a bit of walking on Wednesday and the pain began to fade into the background the more I walked. Interesting. Came right back when I took a break. Meanwhile, my muscle is turning back into fat. 😕
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up @katsmeow112. Injuries suck. Hoping for good news at your follow up on Monday.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »
    Hey y’all. The doctor said it may be a stress fracture or labral tear. Got an MRI yesterday. Follow up appt on Monday. I did quite a bit of walking on Wednesday and the pain began to fade into the background the more I walked. Interesting. Came right back when I took a break. Meanwhile, my muscle is turning back into fat. 😕

That's a myth. You can lose muscle and gain fat, but if you are eating at maintenance level it may atrophy, but it doesn't turn into fat.
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Diagnosis: minor labral tear and minimal arthritis (I’m only 41! 😩). PT and cortisone shot scheduled. Meanwhile, I’m gonna try to literally keep walking because I cannot take not exercising anymore.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! I hope it feels better soon!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We can only surmise because you didn't say what kind of surfaces you jog on, solid concrete sidewalks or not...see what the doctor says. Cement can take the life force right out of your joints, knees, hips. After you recover maybe you can try different surfaces, like a rubber track down at your local high school. A dirt trail or wooden running track.
  • KatsMeow12
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    We can only surmise because you didn't say what kind of surfaces you jog on, solid concrete sidewalks or not...see what the doctor says. Cement can take the life force right out of your joints, knees, hips. After you recover maybe you can try different surfaces, like a rubber track down at your local high school. A dirt trail or wooden running track.

Treadmill. Rarely any incline.