How much is to much

Options
So my goal weight is 140 pounds. I started last month paying attention to my calorie intake and started walking for exercise. My lifestyle up until then was very sedentary.
I haven't changed my diet much other than keeping it below my 1800 calories a day. I didn't want to change to much to fast.
Thing is I've lost close to 8 pounds in one month. I've gone from 182 to 174. I don't know whether to be happy or not. I'm sure it's going to slow down and I'm hoping it's far that I'm losing.
So is it healthy that I've lost that much that fast?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track! It is mostly water but it does mean you are in a deficit. Keep going, it does slow down., but that is okay. Yay you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    People usually lose some water weight when they start dieting or change what they're eating. It's likely that not all of the 8 pounds were lost from fat. If it continues like this and you wish to slow it down, just increase your calories. You may be more active than you think. Generally, if you're feeling good and not pressured with what you're doing you should be fine. 1800 calories is enough for good nutrition unless you're super active.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is very normal to lose a lot quickly. It’s good that you expect rate of loss to slow down, because that is normal as well. Just in hang in there, you are doing great!!
  • mortikarobinette
    mortikarobinette Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel great! I've been using the Pacer app on my phone to track my steps. I averaged about 1200 at work when I do nothing else. But since I started walking it's around 6000. Not sure how accurate it is but I have increased my activity quite a bit.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Great job! I agree with others that it's normal, and that the weight loss will slow down. Keep doing what you're doing and reassess if the weight loss continues at that high rate after a few weeks.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    So my goal weight is 140 pounds. I started last month paying attention to my calorie intake and started walking for exercise. My lifestyle up until then was very sedentary.
    I haven't changed my diet much other than keeping it below my 1800 calories a day. I didn't want to change to much to fast.
    Thing is I've lost close to 8 pounds in one month. I've gone from 182 to 174. I don't know whether to be happy or not. I'm sure it's going to slow down and I'm hoping it's far that I'm losing.
    So is it healthy that I've lost that much that fast?

Eight pounds of weight loss is pretty good, unless you are skinny already. Nice!