How far to continue loosing

Options
How far should I continue to cut before trying to increase healthy calories and macros to gain lean muscles.

34 years , started at 230lb , came down to 205 lb and then had a setback with injuries and gained all the weight back.Finally working around injuries and almost down to 200lb  and at 1500 calories per day with weight training twice a week and intense cardio just 30 minutes 4 times a week.

Thanks in advance.

Stay Strong!

Nav

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good evening! Generally speaking, men *should* cut until they get down to 10%-12% body fat. Generally speaking, that is. How do you feel at the moment? What is your body fat percentage? Any idea there?
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Good evening to you too. Using few online calculators my guess is around 26% body fat, so probably I think is going to take me another year :(:(
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    Thank you for the insight. Food is the key and everydy is a struggle for sure. With my knee and soine injuries past choosing the right workouts been the biggest challenge.

Truly appreciate the details
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You are most welcome. I am sure that others will chime in.

I injured my knee my sophomore year in high school. Yes, the classic 'high school football injury' and stayed away from squats until I turned 49. Then I started. With good form and a patient program, I progressed well. Then I got stupid and starting doing too much (mostly deadlifts, but also squats) and hurt my lower back several times. But, that is besides the point.....which is, don't be afraid to do things that "everyone says that you should not do"!

What Jeff Cavelier at AthleanX (you tube). He is the reason why I started doing squats. Well, better stated, that I had the confidence to start doing squats. I tell you what.....my glutes and quads are pretty kick *kitten* (yes, pun very much intended).

But, baby steps, right? You will get it.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Your calorie intake is really low for your weight. It leaves you no where to go and in your case it’s probably hindering your progress. Agree with everything above find your tdee.

In the past I cut at 1800 calories, it worked initially but didn’t get me the right results and at that point my weight was around 200lbs.

Now I’m at 175lbs and cutting at 2100. I read quite a few articles that were saying for a cut take your weight in lbs and multiple by 12. This has been working well for me, I’m eating more than I was, I’m heavier than I ended up on my last cut and I’m more defined than I was previously so I’ve lost more bodyfat.

So if your 220lbs then really most likely you will still lose weight at 2600 calories, you will feel better, your workouts and energy won’t suffer as much and the deficit will be a lot less severe.

The article was 12 x body weight for a cut calories for a man, for ladies it was 10x. If you had a heavy body type for a man and 12 x didn’t work for you then go with x10 even that will leave you eating far more calories that you currently do.

I understand you will be sceptical about losing weight while eating more but your tdee is going to be probably more than double what you currently eat. I was sceptical myself but it works, trust the numbers and use an app that tracks weight daily so you can see the progress.

Good luck
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    Tic78 very intresting facts ..my thumb rule mostly was more the calorie deficit...more better chances of weight loss.

But with my current calories yeah I find it difficult to stock to it.

Much appreciated
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 Yeah baby steps for sure.. :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    As the other posters have said, you can certainly still be in a deficit at more than 1500 calories. @LiftHeavyThings27105 's advice to cut down to at least 10-12% is well founded. There's evidence that muscle growth is most optimal at <15% body fat for most individuals, hence the origin of the "cut to 10%, bulk to 15%" methodology.

There is definitely a fine line between trying to maximize loss rate and dietary compliance. I know I can get caught up in focusing on the destination rather than the journey, too. Good luck and Enjoy the process.
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @steveko89 thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.