Diet post surgery

Options

Looking for some advice. I am scheduled to have major abdominal surgery early next month. Understandably the consultant has insisted that I do not eat a restricted calorie diet during my recuperation. She says that my body will burn additional calories as part of the healing process. Obviously that is offset by not being able to do much for a few weeks as opposed to normal day which involves a decent amount of walking, strength training, cardio etc...

I eat a really healthy balanced diet by default, lots of fresh veg, lean protein and complex carbs and feel like I scoff a colossal amount of food each day. I am firstly perplexed by how I will be able to eat more, and how to eat 'quality' calories rather than junk. I really don't want to gain bad habits while recuperating, nor do I want to get bigger but I don't want to ignore the consultant and slow the healing and recuperation process. Getting well is my priority for a few weeks, then staying well (which means being fit and healthy).

All advice gratefully received.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have been adviced to eat more, just to not eat less than you are now. A healthy balanced diet will help your body heal after the operation.
  • cherbear1858
    cherbear1858 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are having bariatric surgery then what, quantity, and frequency is very important. Before surgery, ensure your consultant explains to your satisfaction what you need to do post surgery.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    After surgery, eating at maintenance, or very close, is important. I didn't - I kept losing - and was very sorry: I got weak and fatigued. Fortunately I healed OK in the long run. So, yes, eat at maintenance.

It sounds like you're worried that you won't be able to take in enough calories, more than worried that you will eat too much with the inactivity.

Keep in mind that there are excellent, nutritious foods that are relatively high in calories. Some examples are avocados, nuts, peanuts, bananas, olive oil in dressing on salads, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia, flax, sesame, etc.), cheese if you eat dairy.

Truly, it would not hinder your health to add small amounts of less nutrition-dense "treat foods", either, after your nutrition for the day is all locked in. Chocolate, for example, has some useful antioxidants.

But, if you don't want to include higher-calorie less nutrient dense foods in your eating, there are plenty of useful nutritious ones that are higher in calories. You can get the calories you need, as well as the nutrients you need. It will be good practice for your eventual maintenance eating at goal weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat at a little above maintenance: cheese, bread, nuts, bacon, peanut butter, ice cream, beef, granola.
  • PurpleCrazies
    PurpleCrazies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to listen to my body and eat mindfully while I recover. Plus as my husband and son will have to help out with the cooking initially I am sure they will add hidden calories that I cut.