Can't eat all calories without going over carbs & fat

Options
Help!

With 60 carbs a day and 40 grams of fat, I am having a hard time eating 1200 calories without going over in those two categories. I've tried peanut butter (which adds alot of fat) but I need some suggestions please!

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    low fat peanut butter for a start
  • mcarmon
    mcarmon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You probably need to increase your protein intake.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken and fish, eggs and egg whites. Add some veggies in there like broccoli or green beans. A protein supplement helps.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Help!

With 60 carbs a day and 40 grams of fat, I am having a hard time eating 1200 calories without going over in those two categories. I've tried peanut butter (which adds alot of fat) but I need some suggestions please!

60g of carb is way too low and not very healthy. Eat whole grain is great for you and will not slow down any weight lose at all. Don't worry about the good fat, like coming from nuts. You can just simply watch your "saturated fat" if you really worried. Have some nuts and they are very good for you.
  • sherdewi
    sherdewi Posts: 14
    Options
    I've had the same issue before. The gal that runs the diet class I've been attending told me to go in and change the settings so that I'm at 30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% protein. That has helped significantly and I'm not as hungry as I was with the higher carbs.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    60g of carbs definitely sounds too low. What are you carb/fat/protein ratios? I have mine set at 40/30/30. With a 1200 cal goal, I get 120g carbs! I usually go over protein now because I eat more lean meats and veggies. You can take a look at my diary for ideas if you like.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want your carbs so low? Try eating more chicken, egg whites, tuna. And you could add protein shakes...just add the protein powder to water.
    Edited to add: And loads of fresh veggies
  • newleafbeth11
    Options
    I mean, I can't tell for sure w/o looking at your food diary, but I would say try and add a lot of veggies. I realize that veggies have carbs, but they are are carbs that are good for your body (complex, high in fiber). I personally like broccoli because it has lots of fiber and protein so it helps me feel fuller. That would help with the fat side. Also, to help with fats and cut down on carbs a little, choose lean meats, (rounds, 97% lean ground beef, chicken, lower fat cuts of fish). I would say, as long as you are making your carbs and fats count, it's not the end of the world when you go over.
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    60g of carb is way too low and not very healthy. Eat whole grain is great for you and will not slow down any weight lose at all. Don't worry about the good fat, like coming from nuts. You can just simply watch your "saturated fat" if you really worried. Have some nuts and they are very good for you.

I have PCOS and am considered "pre-diabetic" so my Dr. has suggested to cut my carbs down to that amount. This is my 2nd week with lower carbs and it's not so bad, especially when I do some cardio but I'm still looking for some tips. Thanks!
  • justimogen
    Options
    Just a word of caution: Eating low carb has tons of benefits and can really aid weight loss, but it should not only be used as a temporary tool. Please be careful of overly reducing your carbs, unless you feel this way of eating is sustainable for the rest of your life.

If you plan to stay low carb forever, you will most certainly need to increase your protein. With 60 carbs/day (240 cals) and 40g fat/day (360 cals), that should leave you about 150g protein for a total of 1200 calories. You will have to eat a lot of very low-fat meat and fish options to work within those guidelines.

You may also opt to deduct insoluble fiber from the carb count. Some people even deduct soluble fiber (total dietary fiber) and sugar alcohols. This will yield the net carbs per serving. If you search for "net carbs," you can decide if you buy the science behind the net carb theory and want to deduct from your total carb counts. That, in itself, should help you to stay within your ratios.

Otherwise, consider increasing your carb percentage but make a conscious effort to eat mostly vegetable carbohydrates. For example, broccoli would do you well - It's packed with good carbs, protein and fiber. Six ounces of broccoli florets (steamed/boiled without salt or added fat) will add 51 calories, 9g carbs, 4g fiber and 5g protein.