How to (easily) determine nutrition for a restaurant item?

Options
* Note: I tried to post this earlier today, but now I can't find the post. Hopefully this isn't a duplicate *

I ate a Hopkins Eatery Black Bird sandwich today. I asked them about nutrition, and they don't keep one. I also didn't find anything on their website or elsewhere. I'm interested in knowing how to easily determine (at least an estimate) the amount of nutrition/calories an item has?

As an example, the Black Bird sandwich has the following ingredients:
wheat roll (4-5")
turkey
cream cheese (a nice 1/4" slab about 2/3 the size of the bread)
black olives
celery
green pepper
sunflower seeds
lettuce
tomato
onion
mayo (not heavily applied)
parmesan dressing (not heavily applied)

Just to keep things "safe", I entered 800 calories into MFP for lunch. I only had the sandwich and tea (3/4 unsweet)

Replies

• renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I try to find a comparable restaurant chain and food item. I'm not sure where you are, but for example Subway could work as a comparison.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I can't find an entry for a similar item at another restaurant, I will estimate how much I had of each ingredient and log it that way (sometimes I'll take a quick picture before I eat so I don't forget anything).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I either look for a similar restaurant items or just best guess and enter each item individually, and usually round up/go for the higher calorie entry.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I pulled up a Subway 6" turkey on wheat with veggies and cheese. 200 calories. Way under the 800 I gave. I'll adjust mine to 400 to allow for the cream cheese and condiments.

Thanks, guys!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I pulled up a Subway 6" turkey on wheat with veggies and cheese. 200 calories. Way under the 800 I gave. I'll adjust mine to 400 to allow for the cream cheese and condiments.

Thanks, guys!

Knowing that Subway doesn't give a lot of meat, plus the olives, mayo, and parmesan dressing, I'd probably go 500 to be safe, but that's just me.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Thanks, guys!

Knowing that Subway doesn't give a lot of meat, plus the olives, mayo, and parmesan dressing, I'd probably go 500 to be safe, but that's just me.

I find Subway's bread to be a lot less dense than regular rolls and it's calorie count definitely reflects that. A roll itself could be 300+. Plus meat, mayo, dressing, and cream cheese.. definitely closer to 800 than 400
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I dissect the item, calculate each ingredient, and then add it back together. I'd estimate

wheat roll (4-5") - 270
    turkey - 150
    cream cheese (a nice 1/4" slab about 2/3 the size of the bread) - 150
    black olives- 50
    celery
    green pepper
    sunflower seeds- 50
    lettuce
    tomato
    onion
    mayo (not heavily applied)- 100
    parmesan dressing (not heavily applied)- 100

800 total for the sandwich, 200 for the sweet tea.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I dissect the item, calculate each ingredient, and then add it back together. I'd estimate

wheat roll (4-5") - 270
    turkey - 150
    cream cheese (a nice 1/4" slab about 2/3 the size of the bread) - 150
    black olives- 50
    celery
    green pepper
    sunflower seeds- 50
    lettuce
    tomato
    onion
    mayo (not heavily applied)- 100
    parmesan dressing (not heavily applied)- 100

800 total for the sandwich, 200 for the sweet tea.

This is the best way to do it. Estimate the calories based on the ingredients. The above might be a little high but it's likely in the right ballpark. Only you know how big the sandwich or how much sweet tea you think you had, but 800-900 for the total lunch would make sense to me.
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If I can't find an entry for a similar item at another restaurant, I will estimate how much I had of each ingredient and log it that way (sometimes I'll take a quick picture before I eat so I don't forget anything).

I do this too, although it's pretty hard for something that's cooked, especially stir-fry type foods. You don't know what kind of oil or sauce they've been cooked in. It's been giving me a headache for the past couple of days >_<
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do this too, although it's pretty hard for something that's cooked, especially stir-fry type foods. You don't know what kind of oil or sauce they've been cooked in. It's been giving me a headache for the past couple of days >_<

It's true that it isn't perfectly accurate. I'll usually start with an estimate of two tablespoons of oil. It's never been a problem for me in terms of impacting my weight loss, but if I noticed that I was losing less than expected I would probably temporarily reducing eating out or begin choosing things that were easier to estimate.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at fast food places so most of the places that my husband and I eat at, don't have the nutritional information listed, with the exception of Mimi's Cafe, Island, Panera, etc. Therefore, I don't worry.

I don't log the meal nor I try to find something similar in the database because in my opinion, it would be totally inaccurate and a waste of time. I just do enter a description of what I ate in the Comments section of my food diary and the name of the restaurant, for my own information. If I feel that a particular lunch was high in calories, I eat less for dinner, or I eat less the next day.

I know that this approach doesn't resonate well with the MFP crowd, but it didn't make a dent in my loosing stage and I haven't change it while in maintenance for eight years.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's true that it isn't perfectly accurate. I'll usually start with an estimate of two tablespoons of oil. It's never been a problem for me in terms of impacting my weight loss, but if I noticed that I was losing less than expected I would probably temporarily reducing eating out or begin choosing things that were easier to estimate.

a good quote - don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don't log the meal nor I try to find something similar in the database because in my opinion, it would be totally inaccurate and a waste of time. I just do enter a description of what I ate in the Comments section of my food diary and the name of the restaurant, for my own information. If I feel that a particular lunch was high in calories, I eat less for dinner, or I eat less the next day.

I know that this approach doesn't resonate well with the MFP crowd, but it didn't make a dent in my loosing stage and I haven't change it while in maintenance for eight years.
    What works for you, works. I don't think you need to justify it to the crowd.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

a good quote - don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough

Exactly. When it comes to calorie counting, I'm shooting for "good enough to be effective," not perfect.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do the dissection method with an overestimate on the ingredients ie, I assume the higher calories for the sliced turkey lunch meat.