AMT (adaptive motion trainer) Who uses it?

Slulik
Slulik Posts: 79 Member
So I have been finding the AMT is my new friend. I enjoy it a lot more over the typical eliptical...I feel I get a more intense workout on it. What are your thoughts on AMT vs Eliptical?

My question is who else uses it and how do you track it with MFP? I track it under eliptical but feel it may not be fully accurate. I do not have a HRM at this point.

I am limited to only the AMT or Eliptical at this time, due to me having knee surgery...so treadmill is off limits.

I normally do the fat burn course when I use the AMT, which sees me at level 3 resistance 3-10.

Replies

• Slulik
    friendly bump! Hope for some discussion.
  • Mick_V
    Mick_V Posts: 1
    I use the AMT as my primary cardio device. My exercise is tracked through through Fitbit (I use the Flex) and partnered with MFP. Fitbit allows me to input metrics from the Preva app on my smart phone. Today I did 60 minutes on the AMT, logging 1046 calories.
    At this time Fitbit doesn't have an activity dedicated to the AMT so I have to create the activity manually. I will be contacting them to see if there are future plans to list that specific Precor device as one of the activities to chose from.
    Keep up the good work.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I use it. It is my fave cardio machine.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    I love the AMT. I find ellipticals too constraining. The AMT is easy on my knees and allows for lots of flexibility in terms of the type of workout. I like that I can alternate between long, open strides versus almost stair steps by adjusting the machine.

As for calorie burn - based on my HRM and a lot of trial-and-error - I think that the machine overestimates my calorie burns by about 20%. I created my own entry for it here on MFP and log my calories as 20% less than the machine reading.
  • Slulik
    I just got a HRM, and found that the calorie burn is pretty darn accurate. Here I was hoping for a higher burn :)
  • I love this machine, I can burn like 300-400 cals in 30 minutes and I love it. I think the calories are fairly accurate, bc I feel it in a good way.
  • jrosenbomb
    jrosenbomb Posts: 1 Member
    I used this to start my workout. The one thing I don't know if it's accurate. I mean I really go at it. I set it to the max, 5 incline and 20 resistance. I generally can burn 400 calories in 20 minutes, or 600 in 30. When I put my hands on the heart monitor It shows it at 150-190 depending on how long I've been going.

But I have a samsung watch that doesn't track it that way. Does the AMT keep track correctly? am I really burning that much (I do sweat a lot).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I like it, too. It's like running on the moon. I generally switch between it and the elliptical. For whatever reason, the AMT calculates a higher calorie burn for what seems to be about the same level of effort over the same time.

Lately, I've been off machines and outdoors. Jogging, swimming, cycling, kayaking, hiking, mowing, ...