Matcha Matcha Matcha!

Options
mybigfat
mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
Ok so I never have tried it. I did some research and thought I would try it. How do you prefer to have it? I thought I would start with a latte. Any fun ideas?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've never had the tea itself (I hate hot tea), but I have eaten matcha flavored foods (KitKat matcha bars). I like them a lot, but they're a rare find for me.
  • mybigfat
    Options
    O what's it taste like?
  • mybigfat
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I heard some people hate it others love it seems to be a very polarizing thing
  • mybigfat
    Options
    Holy crap that is good! Rip coffee new drink for me. That is the best tea I have ever had
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I've never had the tea itself (I hate hot tea), but I have eaten matcha flavored foods (KitKat matcha bars). I like them a lot, but they're a rare find for me.

Me too ... there used to be a place on the main floor of my office building that sold them. But it's gone now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it iced, no sugar, with a chunky lemon or lime wedge squeezed in.
  • zyxst
    Options
    mybigfat wrote: »
    O what's it taste like?

The flavor is hard to explain because it's mixed with KitKat flavors. I think it's woody, like all tea tastes to me since it's essentially boiled tree bark.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Me too ... there used to be a place on the main floor of my office building that sold them. But it's gone now.

If I get very lucky, Walmart has them.
  • ladychris29
    ladychris29 Posts: 4,657 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Matcha is amazing in powder form. I recently tried a box of latte pouches from a local Asian market. Unfortunately, they contain quite a bit of sugar, so the energy response is a bit wonky. I need to reorder the powder itself. It's great in my daily water with some chia seeds and a touch of stevia.
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Matcha by itself is a bit earthy/grassy in flavor. Very nice with a touch of sweetness.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tastes like chocolate grass, but in the best way. I steam a bit of milk, add matcha, whisk vigorously, then add hot water to bring it up to 8-10 oz for a latte. Steamed milk adds plenty of sweetness. Absolutely divine as an ice cream flavor, as long as you can get it without other added flavors (everyone around me seems to want to add lemon/other citrus, which just overpowers the matcha) or without being over-sweetened. Order it from a Japanese restaurant to get the best stuff.
  • DoriVF
    DoriVF Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix it with green superfood or wheatgrass powder and a touch of agave or stevia. Others say it looks vile but I like tea and I’m terrible at getting all my nutrients.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I have the matcha powder from TJ, and while delicious I can't recommend it because it's premade with sugar. I actually like it mixed into my plain, nonfat Greek yogurt. Gives it a really great flavor!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I tried green tea ice cream last night. It was just disappointing and I missed my Belgium chocolate chunks from my usual flavor. I prefer matcha in a hot latte. Get unsweetened and use your own honey, stevia, sugar if needed. It’s also good when added to another green tea without milk.