Runners!

2»

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    I'm aiming for a Marathon this fall!
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    I did my first marathon in April after quite a few halfs.

I loved the training but it was difficult fitting it all in. I managed with short runs during the week and a long run at the weekend.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2018
    nah, I'm with those who are happy to stick with running half marathons. I love training for a half, but know darn well I haven't got the discipline or commitment to train for a full. I run because I love running, and would hate for it to become a chore and suck all the enjoyment out of it. I run because I want to, not because I have to.

I'm absolutely loving not having a race to train for at the moment... though at the same time it's also starting to make me feel twitchy to want to sign up for something! So weird!

Yep, I know that twitchy feeling all too well. I like to run one or two races per month and like to get them in the diary well in advance to stop me from getting complacent. I've already got my races lined up for June through October. A nice mix of 5k's and 10k's; mainly smallish local races, but a couple of big events as well (J P Morgan Corporate Challenge next week, and the Tuft's Women's 10k in October). November's races will possibly be a half-marathon, plus a 5k turkey trot. And I try and get a few parkruns done too.

Ten marathons planned this year. At that point is not actually too bad to fit in training as the longs are races.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    I went from 1/2 (my last was in Oct. 2016) to 50k last weekend! It’s totally doable. It hurt in the moment but I was so proud of myself that I will definitely run an ultra again!! I’ve got a marathon in October up next.
  • mserickson99
    mserickson99 Posts: 21 Member
    marikaCL wrote: »

I loved the training but it was difficult fitting it all in. I managed with short runs during the week and a long run at the weekend.

@marikaCL What kinds of distance were your short and long runs?
    My training for my Half’s are merely endurance buildup. My short runs are 3-5 miles. My long are 6-10 miles. If I can run these distances without feeling completely dead then I do great at my Half’s!
  • sienainthesun
    sienainthesun Posts: 48 Member
    Just finished week two of training for an October marathon. It has been almost a decade since my last marathon. The training takes time, but I find that with a half I can cheat on the training a bit too much whereas with a full I need to commit to a training plan fully.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I'm on Team Turtle, I'm just working on finishing a 5k in a place better than dead last (for the runners). I'm getting there. I am enjoying these threads though, a lot of insight.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Hi
    marikaCL wrote: »

@marikaCL What kinds of distance were your short and long runs?
    My training for my Half’s are merely endurance buildup. My short runs are 3-5 miles. My long are 6-10 miles. If I can run these distances without feeling completely dead then I do great at my Half’s!

My short runs were about 3 miles.

Long runs varied but longest was 20 miles before the day
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It really depends on your reasons for wanting to run a marathon and the time you're willing/able to commit. Personally, I get bored around mile 10 or 12, and I don't want to spend many hours on long runs every weekend. I'm perfectly happy with the half. My usual run is 10k, 3 times per week, and if I'm training for a race I add in a long run on the weekend.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    A few years back our local newspaper interviewed a group of the most prominent, mostly-amateur runners in our area. One of the questions they asked all of them was: What's your favorite distance?
    Now, a lot of these runners were a bit older -- late 30s and 40s --and they were notable for marathon running.
    So, naturally, I assumed most would answer "the marathon."
    But they didn't.
    Far and away the most popular distance mentioned by these runners was the half-marathon. They said it was such a long distance that it was a great workout, but it did not leave someone feeling as beat up afterwards as a marathon does.
    I lived in Boston one year and we 'bandited' the marathon, as many used to do back then.
    I'd probably never do a marathon again. I love to run. The race was great fun and left me with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. But the training for a marathon is so extensive, too excessive. It gets boring.
    I like a six-mile run. I feel free when I run, and I find it meditative to be out moving, underneath the trees, in the fresh air. But when you have to run 12 miles and 15 miles? Ugghh! You're out there for two-hours -- same motion. So tedious.
    And, after a two-hour run, your energy is gone for the rest of the day. You are totally spent. It is even hard to concentrate sometimes.
    I would not discourage anyone who wanted to do a marathon from doing one. But I found that it was not particularly pleasurable.

i can see that - a marathon takes over your life with training whereas a half lets you have a life

i make the same argument/discussions about ironmen vs half-ironmen - ironman will take over your life; half you can maintain some kind of life - its more doable
  • mserickson99
    mserickson99 Posts: 21 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    A few years back our local newspaper interviewed a group of the most prominent, mostly-amateur runners in our area. One of the questions they asked all of them was: What's your favorite distance?
    Now, a lot of these runners were a bit older -- late 30s and 40s --and they were notable for marathon running.
    So, naturally, I assumed most would answer "the marathon."
    But they didn't.
    Far and away the most popular distance mentioned by these runners was the half-marathon. They said it was such a long distance that it was a great workout, but it did not leave someone feeling as beat up afterwards as a marathon does.
    I lived in Boston one year and we 'bandited' the marathon, as many used to do back then.
    I'd probably never do a marathon again. I love to run. The race was great fun and left me with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. But the training for a marathon is so extensive, too excessive. It gets boring.
    I like a six-mile run. I feel free when I run, and I find it meditative to be out moving, underneath the trees, in the fresh air. But when you have to run 12 miles and 15 miles? Ugghh! You're out there for two-hours -- same motion. So tedious.
    And, after a two-hour run, your energy is gone for the rest of the day. You are totally spent. It is even hard to concentrate sometimes.
    I would not discourage anyone who wanted to do a marathon from doing one. But I found that it was not particularly pleasurable.

Well said. As an avid Half runner this distance is a big challenge but not to the point where I’m miserable...and the training isn’t an overload. Running stays enjoyable...mostly
  • HealthyFreya
    HealthyFreya Posts: 41 Member
    It is an amazing achievement - I did my first ultra marathon this year and it shocked me how strong one can be in the moment and how we can push ourselves despite self-doubt. Go for it! You won’t regret it! :)ak3k851fe9rd.jpeg