How Often should you replace running trainers

Options
How often should you replace running trainers if you go out a couple of times per week covering 4-5 miles. Thanks Phil

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The shoe manufacturers might tell you about 250 miles but most independent retailers and “experts” (ie magazines and websites for runners) usually say 300-500 miles.

HOWEVER if you start suffering from recurrent joint or impact injuries, try switching out your trainers as the padding and support may have gone quicker than expected
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My new balance 870's tend to last around 500 miles
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends on the model, the type of train is designed for and how they're looked after.

Personally I'll get 600mi out of trail shoes, about 500 from road shoes.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've never made it past 300 miles in a pair of running shoes, and it's really easy to tell when I need new ones. When my shoes are too warn I'll get pain in my ankles or calf.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of trainers. One for outdoors: usually get around 300 miles out of them. One for my treadmill (brutal Texas sun = indoor running if I wake up late): I usually get around 600-700 miles out of them.

My basic rule is that once my ankles don't "feel right" (not pain or soreness, just off), it's time to replace them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It seems to vary depending on your shoe and your body. I can always tell when my shoes are getting worn out. They don't feel nice and springy anymore, and I start getting odd aches and pains that go away when I replace the shoes. For me, that happens around 300 miles. I wear Brooks Adrenaline and run mostly on asphalt, with a little bit of sand and sidewalk along the way.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My shoes usually end up lasting about 400 miles.

One idea is to have 2 or 3 pairs that you can keep in rotation (all phased in age). I generally know that a pair needs replacing when I start feeling odd aches or pains while running in one pair and don't feel the same when running in the other shoes.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Check out this video from a podiatrist. She explains how to know when a shoe is worn out and why a simple mileage number is not a good way to determine it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylgzgbzC9i4

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I replace them 4x per year. The latest pair become my walking shoes, the next oldest my slop shoes for rainy days, the oldest for cutting the grass and the rest go in the garbage. I typically rotate 2 pairs for daily runs so they dry completely between outings
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When they feel bad. Usually thats after 250 miles
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I usually replace mine after 300 miles. They still look decent and I continue to wear them in non-running situations.
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I replace them 4x per year. The latest pair become my walking shoes, the next oldest my slop shoes for rainy days, the oldest for cutting the grass and the rest go in the garbage. I typically rotate 2 pairs for daily runs so they dry completely between outings

That is similar to what I do. I usually replace mine after 300 miles. I try to order different colors each time because they still look decent when I retire them and I can match them with clothes I wear outside of running.