Does it even make sense to go to the gym if you don't have a healthy diet?

Options
Hey guys, the title basically says it all and is meant for discussion on whether it is worth investing money into going to the gym if you have let's say an unhealthy or partially unhealthy (meaning you, for example, eat enough protein, but too much sugar) diet?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It depends on what your reasons are for going to the gym.

It also sounds like you could stand to re-assess your definition of "unhealthy" diet.

Agreed and agreed.

There are lots of reasons to go to the gym (or workout, whatever/where ever that means for you).
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to the gym. Ever. But your overall health and well being depends upon you taking care of yourself. Happiness is a state of activity. Aristotle said that and the Greeks knew all of the good stuff. ;)

Do everything on your own terms with foods you enjoy and movement/exercise you like. Track your food here. It's reasonable restriction and not overrestriction. Big difference.

Heckatoot, I no longer deprive myself of a cotton pickin' thing. You are always worth the investment and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Definitely, there are plenty of benefits of exercise even if you don't eat healthy. I exercise for energy, strength, etc. I especially hit it hard if I plan on eating unhealthy stuff, haha.

From a purely personal opinion - I can exercise and lose weight on an unhealthy diet, I just don't feel very good overall. Eating out too much makes me feel bloated/ sluggish. Other people may not have that problem.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I meant mostly gain muscle, if it's possible
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    One doesn’t have to do with the other. Just because you don’t eat “healthy” doesn’t mean you have to just resign to being unhealthy in every other aspect of your life. Exercise has many benefits. And I also would think your definition of “unhealthy” may need to be re-evaluated. I eat ice cream and cookies and chips and I would consider my overall diet pretty healthy and I go to the gym.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    I meant mostly gain muscle, if it's possible

Yes, definitely yes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle as long as you are in a surplus, getting adequate macros (esp protein), progressive lifting .. (other factors like starting bodyfat can come into play too).. but in general you can achieve that with an unhealthy diet. I wouldn't recommend it.. you do want nutrients for proper body functioning and possibly to help workout performance, but it can be done.
  • Carmen060
    Carmen060 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes. There are health benefits to exercise that are independent of weight loss!!
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to relieve stress and get some me time.
  • Icy_Fox
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    One doesn’t have to do with the other. Just because you don’t eat “healthy” doesn’t mean you have to just resign to being unhealthy in every other aspect of your life. Exercise has many benefits. And I also would think your definition of “unhealthy” may need to be re-evaluated. I eat ice cream and cookies and chips and I would consider my overall diet pretty healthy and I go to the gym.

I didn't mean exercise in general, I meant as in lifting weights. Should have formed it differently I guess.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what you think the problem would be. Maybe you can make it clearer: What do you mean by eating "too much" sugar, and why do you think this would either make you unable to build muscle or make building muscle useless?
  • jjpptt2
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So the question is...

Is it worth lifting to gain muscle if your diet isn't "healthy" (i.e. low in protein and/or high in sugar)?

Yes. It'll be more worth it with proper protein intake, but it's still worth it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't really understand what you think the problem would be. Maybe you can make it clearer: What do you mean by eating "too much" sugar, and why do you think this would either make you unable to build muscle or make building muscle useless?

Agree. Without knowing OP's definition of "unhealthy" diet, it's like discussing how long a piece of string is.
  • Icy_Fox
    Options
    The question came up to me after reading a workout plan. It had a little diet section, with an example of a 85kg man. It said you needed around 170 g of protein, some carbs (think it was like 400 g) and at most 15g sugar a day. It seemed strange to me too, especially the last sentence that said not sticking to the diet won't bring results