Losing Control & Feeling Guilty, Need to Get Back on Track

I started my weight loss journey a little over a year ago & have lost around 100lbs, I’ve got about 15 more to go. I am very proud of that & did it by eating heathy & exercise. I was really strict for the first 6 months or so, did not cheat or anything. I relaxed a little, a cheat meal/day once a week or 2-3 times a month but that was it & was still losing weight & getting compliments . Over the last 2 months, the weight loss has slowed down to a “drip” & my cheat days have increased to 1 or 2 days of the weekends. I haven’t gained weight in this time but stayed pretty much the same, lost .5lbs over the last month. Lately I feel like I’ve lost control; it’s like once I cheat, I can’t reign it back in & one meal turns into 2 days of falling off the wagon. And when this happens, I just feel like I’m spiraling & just can’t control myself. Then when it’s over, usually Sunday’s is when I jump back on the wagon full force, I feel so much shame & guilt. I’m just scared that I’m going to fall back into my old habits of unhealthy eating & my cheat days will become habit. And I know I feel & look so much better than when I was heavy & I want to continue losing weight but I just don’t know how to regain my mindset of success & it scares me. I don’t want to fall back into unhealthy eating & honestly, even when I do cheat, it isn’t “satisfying” anymore. It’s like I’m doing it & not even enjoying what I’m eating & I know I shouldn’t be doing it.
I guess what I’m asking is, has anyone else fallen into this pattern? If so, how did you rebound? What did you do to get back on track? Is this “normal” with people who’ve lost a lot of weight & been dieting a long time? Thanks.

Replies

• losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    think of this as a lifestyle change - if the diet you are on is not going to be doable the rest of your life then it is time to rethink it. What is it you like about cheat days? for example - I had Cheetos yesterday - it was one small bag - no biggie. I don't think of it as a "cheat" I think of it as I had a bag of Cheetos - so I had no carb at dinner. shrug. Was it the best choice? No but it was a choice.

You have done great!! you've lost a whole person!! That is amazing! What do you like about this lifestyle you now have? what do you not like? How can you find a good balance?

You can do it - you just need a reset :-)
  • cookster82
    cookster82 Posts: 39 Member
    I don't have advice for you, but wanted to comment because I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. I go through similar patterns, and have been stuck in it for over a year. While I'm not happy with the loss in progress and the small amount of weight I've put back on, I try to focus on the fact that I rebound quicker than I have in the past. Feel free to add me if you'd like to support one another.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Congrats on losing 100 lbs! That's great. Now that you only have 15 lbs to lose the loss will be much slower. Adjust your expectations.

I agree with the others that it's time to make a new plan. Get rid of the "cheat" mindset. It's a habit. Habits can be broken and/or replaced. Eat what you truly enjoy. Slow down, savor each bite and track your portions.

Have you taken pics of yourself for progress? Do you track your body measurements? Those can be helpful tools to keep you moving forward.