Exercise

Options
Has anyone ever felt totally burnt out. Been exercising like this for two weeks now
Mon - 80 mins walking 1 hour body pump
Tues - 80 mins walk 1 hour combat
Weds - 80 walking 1 hour pump
Thurs - 80 mins walk 6k run
Fri - 80 mins walk
Sat - 1 hour combat
Sunday - 4K run
Do you think this is too much ?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To me it does. If you're burnt out, you probably need a rest day or two.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Is there reason why you are doing so much exercise? I find a hour 3-5 days per week is sufficient unless training for some specific competition.
  • lisajames925
    lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Because I feel fat and awful. Lost two stone so now 9st 9 and gone from size 14 to a 10.
  • Charrrkuk
    Charrrkuk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It sounds a lot, for me personally I find it best to do less so maybe like an hour 3x per week or half hour 5 times so that I don't run the risk of burning out and giving up.. I'm very prone to that!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    You need a rest day. Rest days are built into workout programs for a reason - your body needs a recovery day. For beginners, every other day, as you get more experienced, once a week, sometimes more depending on your workouts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why are you exercising so much?

You feel burnt out because you're burning yourself out. Do you want this to be something you do for a couple of weeks before quitting due to exhaustion or injury? Or do you want exercise to be a fun and constructive part of your life for years to come?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever felt totally burnt out. Been exercising like this for two weeks now
    Fri - 80 mins walk
    Sat - 1 hour combat
    Sunday - 4K run

Did you go from nothing to 7 days a week of exercise?

What are your goals?

If you're feeling burnt out then it is too much for you
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Because I feel fat and awful. Lost two stone so now 9st 9 and gone from size 14 to a 10.

How tall are you?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes, too Much
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Fri - 80 mins walk
    Sat - 1 hour combat
    Sunday - 4K run

Depends on your fitness level. For some, that might be just fine. For others, it might be too much.

Personally, on your Thursday, I might just stick with the 6k run, and not do the walking, or just walk 10-15 min to warm up before the run and 10-15 min to cool down after.

On Friday, I might make that a casual 30 min stroll.

Are these 80 min walks your commute to and from work/school?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day because taking "rest days" tends to encourage me to slack off. In order to be consistent, I have to practice a habit every day. It's just how I am. I used to think everyone needed rest days, but after cutting them out completely, I find that I personally don't need them. I haven't had a rest day in about a year now. I suppose I might take one if I ever get sick, but I've only had one slight cold in all this time and that didn't stop me.

So I don't think exercising every day has to be a problem unless your activity is too intense every single day. I do vigorous exercise (running, mountain biking, etc.) most days of the week. But I'm used to it. And when I'm "not feeling it," or my body tells me I need a break, I don't take a rest day and just sit around. I simply do more gentle stuff like hiking, yoga, etc.

If you are becoming run down, you might want to back off a bit so you don't hurt yourself or burn out. And make sure you are properly fueling your workouts and recovery. B)
  • lisajames925
    Options
    Yes it’s a school run. I m 5ft 4. Not losing weight now since been exercising
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you may be retaining water but exercise doesnt stop weight loss. it can mask it due to the water retention.
  • lisajames925
    Options
    What do you advise ? Less exercise ?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

how much more are you trying to lose?

i would try swapping a couple of the cardio workouts for some weights.

set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week, and take a week off any classes to rest if you're burnt out. i agree that you are probably retaining water so the scale will probably drop then.
  • lisajames925
    Options
    Want to lose another 9lb and tone up. Might drop a combat class and replace for a pump one then.
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I here you! I exercise most days as I want to lose weight and tone plus it makes me feel good.
    I feel exhausted some days and just have to try reign it in a bit and just do some very light yoga so I feel I’m doing something.
    Well done on your weight loss 👍
  • HeatherBHG
    HeatherBHG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i would add a pump and take out some of the walking! that's a lot of time per day! And you definitely can have a rest day in there! Every single day is a lot. Or just walk or do yoga. Something not so high energy
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Want to lose another 9lb and tone up. Might drop a combat class and replace for a pump one then.

9 lbs is going to be a slow loss. as for toning up you have to lose fat over any existing muscle to get a toned looked. you cant tone anything but you can look more toned.