Sedentary to Active

Options
Sorry if it seems like a silly question (new to all this exercise/active lifestyle stuff)

I've never exercised in my life so I'm classed as sedentary, but as I am becoming more active.. Does this mean I will lose a lot of weight at the start of my weight loss journey?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I never really lost any weight from exercise directly. I think its all been diet.
    working out makes me feel better, increases my metabolism. just makes me want to loose more.
    I think indirectly its invaluable.

you also don't want to be the skinny fat.
  • francena84
    Options
    Well I lost my first 2 pounds in 10 days and its slowed down now, it might be different for everyone
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Most people tend to lose more at the very beginning. Exercise will help you to be able to lose the weight whilst not having to cut your calories so much. Also it will help you to become fitter, prevent you losing lean muscle mass which is very important if you want to burn fat, and give you a great figure as you lose the weight. I think exercising helps make the weight loss a little easier, but that's my personal opinion :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much weight you have to lose.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of debate on this, but it comes down to a simple consideration: "How active are you right now?" The higher a activity level you set on MFP. the more calories it will provide in your daily goal to account for these additional activies. So you can either:

1) Set to sedentary and add credits for activies and exercise -or- 2) Set to active (etc.) and only deduct for activities outside of your normal routine.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I changed my status from sedentary to active once I started doing the C25K plan as I knew I would be training at least 3 times a week.