Sore coccyx help!

Options
Hello, does anyone else suffer with a sore coccyx? I used to suffer on and off (not sure why, I've not injured it or anything) but since I've started regularly exercising I am in constant pain with it. I can't sit comfortably, if I sit on it awkwardly the pain is extreme but there's no physical reason why this might be. I've tried taking ibruprofen but it didn't really have any effect.

Help?!

Replies

• tebumgarner
    Options
    I had this happen all the time when I started running. I was trying to remember when I fell down and bruised my tailbone! I found that icing it and then alternating with heating pad can relieve the pain and loosen sore muscles. Preventing it took me strengthening core muscles. It seems the pelvis-area muscles/ligaments try to compensate when certain core muscles do not stabilize enough during exercise. Eventually, my pain went away. I hope yours does too!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You know, your question almost sounds obscene...I had to look at your profile to make sure whether you are male or female...You might want to explain what coccyx actually is....Just sayin'......
  • birdlover97111
    Options
    I had this happen all the time when I started running. I was trying to remember when I fell down and bruised my tailbone! I found that icing it and then alternating with heating pad can relieve the pain and loosen sore muscles. Preventing it took me strengthening core muscles. It seems the pelvis-area muscles/ligaments try to compensate when certain core muscles do not stabilize enough during exercise. Eventually, my pain went away. I hope yours does too!

Never mind...THAT explains it.... :flowerforyou:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you can actually break the coccyx for no reason (btw, the coccyx is your tail bone). you could also have an infection inside of it but that's usually recognized by swelling as well as heat at the site.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Aaah now that sounds like good advice, I've always had weak core muscles so that could explain it! Thanks.
  • ambreee
    ambreee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I am pregnant, I have troubles there. My chiropractor gave me an adjustment there and it helped a lot. Maybe you need an adjustment?
  • SunshineAndLove
    Options
    You know, your question almost sounds obscene...I had to look at your profile to make sure whether you are male or female...You might want to explain what coccyx actually is....Just sayin'......

Lol so sorry! I'm English!
  • SunshineAndLove
    Options
    When I am pregnant, I have troubles there. My chiropractor gave me an adjustment there and it helped a lot. Maybe you need an adjustment?

I went to a chiropracter once, the noises my back made when he was cracking it put me off going back...
  • birdlover97111
    Options

Lol so sorry! I'm English!

Hahahaha..!!...No problem...It's just I've seen some reeeealllly interesting things on these message boards and I like to tread carefully....LOL... :flowerforyou:
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    YES!! Ever since I lost 40 pounds I can't sit for more then a few minutes at my desk without pain! At first I thought I injured myself but now it's normal and I have gotten used to it. I try to get up and move around more often.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with this when I was pregnant and went to a massage therapist. My hip muscles (pretty much my butt) was really tense and after she worked it out, the pain lessened. I had to go back several times, but eventually it stopped.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Hahaha, mucky mind, lol!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up and stretch properly before you start running? Might be that it's jarring your back a little...