Multivitamins

Options
Any suggestion on a good multivitamin for women? I tried women's one a day a long time ago and it made me sick to my stomach and gave me a bad headache.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Did you take it with food? The One-A-Day Women's brand has a fair amount of iron in it and can upset sensitive stomachs. Some people are fine taking it with food, and some are still sensitive to the iron.

They make gummy vitamins that are a little easier on the stomach. Vitafusion makes a decent gummy brand for women that does not contain iron, and you can buy it on Amazon.

Edit: looks like One-A-Day makes a women's gummy with no iron, also, but it's more expensive than the Vitafusion.
  • adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Did you take it with food? The One-A-Day Women's brand has a fair amount of iron in it and can upset sensitive stomachs. Some people are fine taking it with food, and some are still sensitive to the iron.

They make gummy vitamins that are a little easier on the stomach. Vitafusion makes a decent gummy brand for women that does not contain iron, and you can buy it on Amazon.

Edit: looks like One-A-Day makes a women's gummy with no iron, also, but it's more expensive than the Vitafusion.

The iron is what I need. Maybe that explains why I got sick. Thank you!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you are eating all your daily requirements no vitamin needed.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »

I've always had an iron deficiency since I started a menstrual cycle. It's quite common in females.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I must take a daily iron supplement, and they wanted me to take it on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, and then wait a half an hour before eating. A week of being sick to my stomache very morning, until they said I could take it right before bed. That solved my problem. Good Luck.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have low iron too, and have a sensitive stomach, so I take a liquid iron supplement (Gaia Herbs PlantForce Liquid Iron at Wholefoods). I take it with water 20 minutes before eating, and it doesn't hurt my stomach as long as I drink enough water afterwards.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »

I've always had an iron deficiency since I started a menstrual cycle. It's quite common in females.

If you're going to spend money on a supplement, it might as well be one that specifically targets your deficiency and not one that just makes expensive pee.

Haha! Yea, but I don’t even know what works best. Like I said the women’s one a day made me sick. 😔
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    Thank y’all!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    If iron is what you need, then look for a time release iron supplement (vs. multi-vitamin). It helps with that brick feeling in your stomach.

The last meta-study on multivitamin use I saw indicated a slight but statistically significant shorter lifespan in those who took the vitamins. So no demonstrated health advantage.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements can be tricky. Might want to consider getting the Doc to run a blood test to figure out how much you really need. Ask then to check D and Magnesium while you're at it. The rest is likely just making expensive pee.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with iron tablets as well. I had a haemorrhage after I had a C-Section and was a bit anaemic even after a transfusion. The consultant suggested I took a double dose of Spatone which is a watery iron supplement. It is a bit pricey, but I was able to tolerate it fine.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. No reason to take a multivitamin if the only thing you are deficient in is Iron. What I would actually recommend is scheduling a doctors appointment and requesting a full panel to check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Then you can take specific vitamins/minerals to target only those that you are lacking.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

The iron is what I need. Maybe that explains why I got sick. Thank you!

oye, i've been there before. get Slow FE (Target sells it).