Cannot stick to it!

Options
kjoh12
kjoh12 Posts: 10 Member
Hi!
I'm in a rut and never imagined that battling my weight would ever be an issue for me. I have always been very petite. The past few years I have had major life stressors and in the past year have put on 30 lbs. I start and stop MFP within a week, two at the most. I cannot get myself motivated when the progress is so slow that I start to tell myself that I would rather gain a pound slowly then lose a pound slowly (crazy I know!), or tell myself that counting calories is no way to live. How do I keep at this, when I truly do need to lose weight?

Replies

• kjoh12
    kjoh12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m going to have to re-read this a few times and let it really sink in. I do deserve this, to focus on my health and mental health. Thanks 100_proof_
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    @kjoh12 What aspect are finding hard to stick to? How many calories are you aiming for? Many newbies will enter their stats in the beginning and immediately tell MFP that they want to lose 2 lbs a week. That is a 1,000 calorie deficit per day from your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE, which is the total number of calories you burn in a normal day). Depending on how much weight you have to lose and how active you are, 1,000 calories less than your TDEE may be at or below 1200 calories. This means that if you tell MFP that you want to lose 2 lbs per week, it will automatically spit out a daily goal of 1200 calories, and that's just not sustainable for most people.

If you're willing to share your stats, perhaps we can suggest a more manageable starting point.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can gain that one pound, but it probably won't stop at one pound if you keep telling yourself the same excuse. Which means you could put on another 30 pounds in the next year. Or you can take one step at a time to reverse course and put yourself in a far better place a year from now. It's up to you, but you have to be ready to do it. No one else can make the choice for you.

I made the choice to change and commit to losing weight once I was adequately fed up with my choices and where they were leading me. I had to be angry enough in order to refuse to stay the same, because I knew I was capable and deserving of something better. I had to take full responsibility for my actions and stop lying to myself, and then I had to give up fighting the process. It took me almost a decade to really wrap my head around what I needed to do, and that was almost 100 pounds ago. Yep, it's a slow process, and it's something every, single one of us has to resign ourselves to. So you can either stay where you are and possibily continue to gain, or you can reconcile yourself to trusting the process and seeing it through. It's up to you.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kjoh12 wrote: »
    I'm currently set to lose a lb a week but perhaps should set that to 1/2 lb. MFP has me eating 1280 cals. I do have a full time desk job and two kids so I admit I'm not very active. I'm 32 years old, currently weighing 158 lbs on my 5'5 frame. While I'm not chubby, I'm certainly getting there, my body looks nothing like it used to a year ago and obviously I have developed an unhealthy relationship with food. I was 128-130 after having my kids before this binge eating/all day eating came into play.

Oh yeah, I totally get that. I think setting your goal to 1/2 lb a week would be your best bet along with trying to find ways to be more active in your free time and find something that you enjoy fitness-wise to work towards. Being more active means you can eat more, which is always good.

Also, take the time to read some of the stickied posts at the top of each of the subforums - there's lots of good info in those.

I'm 31, work 8-5 at a desk job, I have 2 young kids, and I know how hard it can be to make time to focus on yourself and your health goals. It's all about having the right mindset and making your health a priority. Easier said than done, I know.

Just remember that you are important, too, and your kids will benefit from having a healthy and active mom.

You didn't get to where you're at overnight, so you can't expect to get to where you want to be overnight. It may take some time, but that time is going to pass anyway, so you may as well make the best of it. You can either be closer to where you want to be three months from now, or three months from now you can be wishing you had started today.

Good luck!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Every person is different - I had to find out what works for me. Having to lose 70 or more kgs, (150 pounds or more) I had (and have) to find a daily meal plan I am comfortable with and I can maintain for a very long time. With my daily meal plan I do not have any urges or cravings; it also means that I have to find my trigger food - food which makes me eat even more. Someone came up with a clever way: write down the 20 or 30 (healthy) food items you really enjoy, you really like and which you could eat every day, every second day or so. Now prepare yourself a daily meal plan around your choices. Check on myfitnesspal calories, macros etc and work from there. I am now 3 months down the line and so far it works for me.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am bookmarking this thread to read again, it is so inspiring and just what I needed to read too. <3 to everyone.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    someone may have said this before. You may have to up your calories, at least that is what helped me. I started researching BMR and TDEE and I learned that I could eat more and still lose. I then bought a fitbit which amazes me how much I can eat and still lose. I have had that same mental battle though and I agree with the person that said nip it now. It is so much harder to lose when it piles on. I would like to lose at least 40 and I fight for every pound then I have a week where I mentally think the way you did and I have gained about 6 pounds back because I fought that 'whats the point, food is comfort' thing and its really even more than that because I feel Ive lost a lot of the muscle I gained so it switched back to fat ugh. Exercise is what helps me because it is a stress reliever and it helps me to eat more calories if I want
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Can you find other ways to celebrate progress? Anything you do that makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal is worthy of praise so be sure to celebrate those accomplishments and not just the pounds on the scale. You are ahead of the game if you are aware of the thoughts you are having that make things harder for you. Focus on challenging those thoughts and behaviors. When I first started I had trouble logging every single thing I ate and would stick my hand in the sand about how much I was eating at night, but doing so was critical to making any progress. I wish I had focused on motivating myself to do that every single day earlier on.

And If you find that you are having trouble stringing together good days it might be worth putting some effort into finding several go to meals that you really enjoy and work from there. No, really. Food you love! We get into trouble when we try to fly by the seat of our pants and hope it works out at the end of the day. I find if I have planned to eat food I'm looking forward to it makes everything so much easier that day. You deserve to lose this weight and feel good about yourself so its worth it to take the time to plan and shop for food that will help you achieve that. And your kids deserve to have a happy mom so maybe think of all your efforts as serving several worthy goals instead of some dreaded chore. Good luck.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Instead of weight loss goals would it help you to set fitness goals?

How often and how long are your breaks from MFP? Would allowing yourself to not track every day but as much as you can or just your weight or just your exercise help keep you mentally in the game? Or maybe no tracking but just a goal to check in everyday? So you stop viewing it as starting over but a slow continuous process.

Is there a racing/biking/orienteering/whatever activity event 3-6 months down the road you could sign up for to motivate you?

Are you willing to make your journey public to friends and family? Posting daily updates and asking others to help you stay on track?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You have to want it more than you don't. I am one pound away from leaving the 170s. My husband took us all to an ice cream parlor last night. I want to see 169 way more than I want to eat ice cream so I declined. You will get there some day.

Side note: 100_PROOF your words of wisdom are remarkable and if that is really your back I am insanely jealous!