Unhealthy roller coaster

Hi. My weight loss journey started when I was born. Honestly. I have never healthily msintsunted a weight. I’ve either been obese or dieting or gaining back the weight lost at one point or another.

I am 32 yo female. I weigh 180 ( or so) pounds. Lowest weight ever was 140 pounds just a mere 18 months ago, but I blew it big time. Highest weight was 240 pounds slsmost 14 years ago.

I am back to weight loss mode. Not sure how this time will be different. Not sure it will be. But I try

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How tall are you?
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited May 2018
    Start making some permanent changes--slowly. Easy stuff like switching from regular to diet soda for example. Change from cream in your coffee to black. Order chicken instead of steak. Park farther from the door. Little things that add calories you can cut out without too much pain. They all add up. Start changing your bad habits into good habits. They will smooth your rollercoaster.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    There is a pathway to healing your relationship with food. If you've already been through several cycles of thrill eating and dieting, relapse - think about sitting down with someone. Face-to-Face.

Many of us have ridden that merry-go-round. The sooner you can catch it the easier it will be for the long haul. Thrill eating creates a cycle of false rewards followed by pain. The pain of starting over and over again.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I believe like the drug addict/alcoholic,food is our issue. This place is my AA. I will have to log for the rest of my life as a mechanism of control. Alot of people lose weight for events (not good enough). I'm doing it for my life....a better lived one. It cannot be a roller coaster but a part of your living life. Its your choice!
  • Diatonic12
    Simply because it works. We proceed with one meal reset at a time. One day at a time. One week at a time. No crash dieting. We learn to delay immediate gratification. I created my own plan and I do everything on my own terms. I stick to my plan and that plan works for me. Maintenance is important for the rest of our lives. There is no such thing as the finish line.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    but I do miss seeing the weight drop consistently and sharply.

Why? That’s brought you nothing but misery. A long slow sustainable downward trend gives you more time to adjust to your new lifestyle. You won’t stay 140lbs living a 180lb lifestyle.

• Diatonic12
    I’ve either been obese or dieting or gaining back the weight lost at one point or another.

I am back to weight loss mode. Not sure how this time will be different. Not sure it will be. But I try

You have to make it different, completely different than last time. Forget about dropping it like it's hot. That doesn't last. With every dieting excursion we go on the skin becomes less elastic, resilient and less forgiving. There's metabolic blowback from dieting and rebounding.

Don't think of this as a temporary diet with quick weight loss. Keep tooling along, tracking your food, day after day. Find movement you enjoy and want to do waaay into the future. Remember that doing things we don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it back. You're not going out like that again.

Draw your line in the sand with some serious suxing it up, Buttercup. You cannot worry about the slow pace. It is the price we pay for putting ourselves through dieting excursions in our past. It's steep but when you reach your optimum setpoint this time, you're not going backwards. Go slow for the permanent win.
  • rosileem
    rosileem Posts: 31 Member
    OP, I hope you found solace in all this encouragement because I did. I needed it. Thank you all <3