Lower Back / Muscle Spasms

Options
cfredz
cfredz Posts: 292 Member
Hi all - for the last few months i have been getting lower back pain from Deadlifts (during and after, last few times it felt fine during and flared up the next day after doing some HIIT)
I went to my sports med dr and they did an xray - theres no misses with discs or anything (THANK GOD)
They said its muscle spasms and weak hamstrings causing my issues, also piriformis syndrome (also have scoliosis but still not clear if this is causing any issues)
I went to psychical therapy and its helping a lot, working on hamstring and glute activation this week and some good breathing/ stretching activities
She said its OK to exercise - i did some arms/lat pull downs and rows on cable machine yesterday (not too heavy) and some shoulder stuff today
I am getting antsy not doing more lower body exercise and i kinda wanna spin but im scared my back will flare up
since its just spasms and not really an injury - any advise or opinions on whether spin is a good idea?? Or elliptical, something?

Replies

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, swimming would be a safe bet.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i dont have access to a pool unfortunately, thinking of getting a guest pass for one tomorrow
    spin - bad idea?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'd try spinning, but i'd stay in the saddle. The bent-over position stretches the lower back, which should prevent spasms.. just don't rock your pelvis around. Focus on keeping your abs pulled in & braced. Failure to do that, in my experience, is when back problems start.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Spinning, walking, elliptical, swimming...
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I’d say that swimming or walking would probably be your best choices, since they would t stress your back as much.

For the muscle spasms, have you tried topical magnesium? I use a magnesium sports balm after I workout, and it really seems to help with cramping and soreness for me. You could also try epsom salt baths, if you can’t find magnesium oil or lotion.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm just recuperating from a lower back strain with pretty horrible spasms that lasted several days and flared up with just about any movement. Just turning over in bed was pretty agonizing for awhile. I know I did it from hours of gardening (weeding, lifting, bending) followed by a couple days of lifting grandbabies in and out of car seats and high chairs. It's not just because I'm older - I did the same thing when my babies were young.

I'm definitely on the mend now and very happy to be almost back to normal. My recovery plan included slow stretching to the limit that wasn't agonizing as soon as I got out of bed. Heat pack (the kind you microwave), Icy Hot muscle rub, stretching in my hot tub or shower and using a TENS unit. The TENS unit (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) was a lifesaver and I wore that thing on low non-stop for about 3 days. After about a week I went to the pool for a water aerobics class and it felt OK. Starting doing yoga specifically for back pain (YouTube). After about 10 days I went to the chiropractor for an adjustment, more TENS unit, more Icy Hot, more yoga. Back to the pool and walking at a moderate pace now.

I'm also working on more core exercises - something I've neglected. I know that having a strong core really helps keep your back strong, but I hate crunches and the like. I just need to push myself more to do it.