Obese beginners

Options
Any specific activity you would suggest to being sedentary and needing to incorporate activity in my day some.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Swimming is easier in the joints. Walking is easily accessible.
  • Khyell
    Khyell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dance. Dance like nobody's watching. Do you watch tv? Dance during the commercials or dance during the show and take a break during the commercial. I like zumba. I can't quite keep up but I keep moving until it's finished. Walk a little further than the day before. Stairs. I live on the second floor. I go up to my apartment, back down one flight then back to my apartment. Every little bit counts. Knee lift as you wash dishes. Touch your toes as you fold laundry. Move as much as you can the add more each day. :)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Walking. I started out morbidly obese, I started taking and evening walk every night. It started as just exercise, I still do it to just clear my head of the day before bed.
    If you have access to a pool, swimming is also great.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking is good
  • ell_bone
    ell_bone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions of walking. It's what I did and even starting out with small intervals (I started out with 15 minutes, personally), made a notable difference.
    Another thing I did was keep my arms at 90 degree angles (as best I could) and used that to get some extra momentum. I've heard it helps burn a few extra calories and while I don't know about that, I can say that it helped keep my pace strong and consistent. It also had the added bonus of toning my arms a little, too.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Walking (start out just with a 5 minute walk and then slowly increase the time each outing), swimming (even if it's just walking along lane lines or around the outside edge several times instead of actually swimming), and beginner's yoga or pilates (there are often youtube channels that have some simple workouts or you can buy dvds) are faves of mine.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Walking, but count everything you do. Example instead of looking for a close parking space to grocery store or mall. Park way out, as long as safe area. Because you are getting extra steps in.
    Check with your Dr. first to make sure they are are good with you say doing yoga, or pilates. I started off with a floor stretching class I still do it. Can even do some on your bed, or even from a chair.
    Mopping floors, meaning with a mop and bucket. Housework.

Many people think of exercise and think must go to gym, be on a piece of equipment for it to count. Well not really true. There are other ways you can start exercising.

I now do some dancing while mopping and dusting in the house.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. I aimed for at least 30 minutes a day. I was 256lbs. As the weight started to come off, I could walk more, so I did. I kept it simple and focused on what I could do to move comfortably and didn't worry about going to a gym or anything like that. All I needed were some decent sneakers.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    When I started at 300 lb walking 10 min was a challenge. I just added a little bit every week and now 150 lb lighter I can hike all day.
    In addition to walking, swimming, elliptical mentioned above, I encourage you to start strength training ASAP and progressively increase weights as you are able. It will greatly help your fitness and function and you’ll be happier with your body when you reach maintenance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Walking, but count everything you do. Example instead of looking for a close parking space to grocery store or mall. Park way out, as long as safe area. Because you are getting extra steps in.
    Check with your Dr. first to make sure they are are good with you say doing yoga, or pilates. I started off with a floor stretching class I still do it. Can even do some on your bed, or even from a chair.
    Mopping floors, meaning with a mop and bucket. Housework.

Many people think of exercise and think must go to gym, be on a piece of equipment for it to count. Well not really true. There are other ways you can start exercising.

I now do some dancing while mopping and dusting in the house.

This is key. Even if it's just a little farther out than you normally would want to.

look for ways to live just a little bit more inconveniently. Take a flight of stairs if possible. If not, take the long way to the elevator or the entrance.
  • champion818
    champion818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am considered morbidly obese with a bmi of 43 but I can run on the treadmill and walk long distances ( miles ) but I just have lived a terrible life style and it’s led me to this point ! What I can say for you is use the elliptical machine ! It takes away strain from your legs , although it has some impact ! Another good one is a stationary bike !
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Start. Slowly. For me, the elliptical machine or dancing were unsustainable for even 5-10 minutes at the beginning. I mean, literally I reached my (calculated) maximum heart rate after 5 minutes on the elliptical. Walking, swimming, a stationary recumbent bike. Walking's the easiest and cheapest!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start. Slowly. For me, the elliptical machine or dancing were unsustainable for even 5-10 minutes at the beginning. I mean, literally I reached my (calculated) maximum heart rate after 5 minutes on the elliptical. Walking, swimming, a stationary recumbent bike. Walking's the easiest and cheapest!

I could only do 6 minutes on level 1 when I first got mine, but I just gradually increased my settings. I also walked and did strength training. You just gotta start somewhere and keep building.