zumba calories burned????

Options
does anyone have a good idea as to the amount of calories (on average) are burned during a 45 minute workout?

Replies

• Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor is the best...

but I used this site until I got mine :)

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • PamelaMichelle82
    Options
    My usual calories burned in one class at zumba which is one hour is around 650 to 700...
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    An hour will burn 500-1000...so maybe average it out....It's hard to really know unless you have a Heart Rate Monitor that will monitor the calories as well....
  • rocki21
    rocki21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    go to zumbacalories.com .... this is what i use
  • muitobem
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com....it gives you calories on the LOW side....
  • brynniebo
    brynniebo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.... I went to the zumbacalories.com site and got a good idea on the number of calories.... I will use that number as my guide........
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on height and weight

About 300 calories for an hour if you're a small female and work hard.

Beware of the internet hype that tells you you can burn 800 calories plus - ridiculous!
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapo HRM, all it asked for was age and sex, but it said for 30 minutes I burned 387 calories.
  • muitobem
    Options
    @jellybaby....The heart rate monitor that Just one of my ladies wore...after our hour, said 937 calories....
    So it's NOT hype...AND it all depends on how HIGH INTENSE anyone is doing Zumba....
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    @jellybaby....The heart rate monitor that Just one of my ladies wore...after our hour, said 937 calories....
    So it's NOT hype...AND it all depends on how HIGH INTENSE anyone is doing Zumba....

No way to put this delicately - is she is a very very large lady?

Because, if not, I genuinely don't get how that can be possible.

Even if you put the maximum possible effort into a good zumba class with a motivating instructor it's still impossible to burn as much as you can doing something like Body Attack, Spin or a good long run at decent pace. Those things, according to MFP anyway, burn for me in 60 minutes:
    Body Attack (well, high impact aeorbics is the closest it has) 371 calories
    Spin (stationery bike, vigorous effort) 557 calories
    Running (7.5 min mile for 60 minutes) 716 calories

Zumba (Dancing, Aerobic) 255 calories

I really don't know why some people (and some instructors) call Zumba a high intensity work out. It can't be! It's fun, it's a work out, it can help you lose weight, it burns calories - but high intensity? Seriously? People can walk into a gym for their very first visit, severely unfit and/or severely overweight and they can still cope with Zumba. Put them into an attack class or even a step class and you see them leaving half way through or taking the lowest options available.

I do appreciate that the calorie burn for many people will be higher than it is for me (I'm only 5'1" and around 112-120 pounds (don't weigh so not sure of weight, I imput 117 and hope for the best) but it can't be 700 calories higher unless the person is either obese or a 6ft male muscle machine surely?!