Post Fasting Weight Gain - Rant

Options
Ramadan is now over and I can get back to my regularly scheduled meals. I hit the scale this morning and saw a 4lb increase.

I kept everything consistent throughout Ramadan and even the day after (except for one day). I stuck to my calories, I stuck to my food scale. A few things which contribute to this:

1. Increase in water intake
2. Friday I went into the city and walk a boat load. My body is not used to this.
3. Saturday I also went into the city and walk a boat load. This was a guesstimate day but I definitely did not go way over maintenance. The foods were high sugar and high sodium.

I 10000% know this isn't a fat gain and very likely water weight. I'm normally fine with 2lb weight fluctuations but this 4lb increase kind of bums me out.

I think it's best for me not to look at the scale until next week. :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    If it's hot where you are, that can contribute to water retention too.

Four pounds is within normal daily fluctuations.

Stay the course. :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It sucks when we know intellectually what's happening but our brains just won't leave it at that. Bigger fluctuations happen and four pounds is normal for a lot of folks, myself included.

We all need to vent sometimes. It sounds like you're doing well! Keep on keeping on!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Are you near your period? I always gain 5 lbs just before my period.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options

You know, the temperature has been pretty high the past few days. We had a heat warning yesterday.
    You're right, 4lbs is within normal fluctuations it just never was my normal until today. :)

Thank you!
    kami3006 wrote: »
    It sucks when we know intellectually what's happening but our brains just won't leave it at that. Bigger fluctuations happen and four pounds is normal for a lot of folks, myself included.

We all need to vent sometimes. It sounds like you're doing well! Keep on keeping on!

Yes it does suck! Thank you, I'm not going to let this keep me down and will keep it going. :)

I had to glance at my calendar for this one. Unfortunately (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) I'm 2 weeks away. I usually gain wait a week prior.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    firefoxxie wrote: »

You know, the temperature has been pretty high the past few days. We had a heat warning yesterday.
    You're right, 4lbs is within normal fluctuations it just never was my normal until today. :)

Thank you!

Yes it does suck! Thank you, I'm not going to let this keep me down and will keep it going. :)

I had to glance at my calendar for this one. Unfortunately (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) I'm 2 weeks away. I usually gain wait a week prior.

Ovulation can cause water retention, too. I gain at ovulation. Keep an eye on it and see.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    It might very well be water due to stress of fasting on your body, eating at unusual times, just a bit more salt. Or just changing back to 'normal'.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    firefoxxie wrote: »

Thank you!

Ovulation can cause water retention, too. I gain at ovulation. Keep an eye on it and see.

This is possible. My calendar says it was supposed to end yesterday but it could always be a little off.
    yirara wrote: »
    It might very well be water due to stress of fasting on your body, eating at unusual times, just a bit more salt. Or just changing back to 'normal'.

Also very true. :)
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A 4lb weight gain is very possible with water retention for all the reasons you have mentioned and those in the replies. It is, especially possible if you have done more exercise than usual. My weight may fluctuate more than this with water retention, which is usually released in a few days ( up to a week)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    The big jumps like that can be very discouraging - and if they are bad enough and stick around for a few days, can throw even a trend line off (been there, had that happen). If I am 100% confident it's just a fluke, I will skip weighing for a day or two until my body looks normal-ish again (I always get a much falbbier belly when I retaining a lot of water).
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It will all go back to normal soon!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it! :)