Pro biotics

Options
Does anyone take probiotics? If so, what do you think of them? Do you think they have helped you in any way? I’ve read a lot about the link between gut health and depression and obesity so I’m curious as to what peoples’ experience of pro (and pre) biotics have been like. I personally have found them helpful in the past but I’ve never used them long term so now I’m going to aim for using them for a long period.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I don't take them, but I routinely eat multiple probiotic foods every day. I do that for 2 reasons: The foods are tasty and nutritious, and - purely speculatively - the still-young research suggests that a diverse gut microbiome may be helpful to health. (Research doesn't seem much more definitive or specific than that.)

For the same two reasons, I also eat prebiotic foods. For the second reason (and the good of my immune system more generally), I avoid obsessively disinfecting everything in my immediate surroundings. ;)

There is no specific positive outcome that I can definitively attribute to any of these practices, other than enjoying the tasty foods. It's just a speculative play on the odds.

I am pretty healthy and now thin, though, with a mysteriously generous maintenance TDEE . . . but don't know if gut bugs have anything to do with it.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics per my PCP because I was getting random infections and we needed to balance things out. Honestly it's been the only thing to help. I did notice that I tend to get weirdly gassy the first few days I start them (sorry, TMI!) but that all evens out. I actually ran out a week ago and didn't buy more... so I should run to the store lol

*I do eat Greek yogurt but I don't get other probiotic foods on a regular basis.
  • deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking probiotics. I now take 2 types (fridge type in the morning and shelf type in the evening) along with digestive enzymes twice a day, a multivitamin, and B 50 complex (I'm B12 deficient).

I don't really notice anything yet but I think internally my body is happier than it was without them, especially if you take antibiotics periodically those things will kill a portion of your normal flora.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I take them in capsule form but I also enjoy Greek yoghurt and Yakult. I find them helpful but I’ll need to try it long term this time.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I only take them when I'm on antibiotics. I heard they were beneficial in that situation.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I’m not so sure it’s recommended to take them whilst taking antibiotics since...doesn’t that reverse the effect of antibiotics?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I’m not so sure it’s recommended to take them whilst taking antibiotics since...doesn’t that reverse the effect of antibiotics?

Speaking simplistically: The antibiotics are intended to kill the bad bugs, but also kill some important good ones. The probiotics theoretically replenish the good bugs.