Shout Out to All the Teachers Out There!

Options
kimi131
kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
Hello all!! So, tomorrow is my first day back. It's going to be quite an adjustment. I started MFP a week after school let out for the summer so I really haven't had any time with work + my healthier lifestyle. Here's what I have planned:
1) I bought a 64 oz water bottle for work. It's huge, but this way I won't have to refill it throughout the day or take multiple bottles of water to school with me. I am also thinking of getting one of those water bottles that filters the water in the bottle itself because the water in the down I work in is nasty.
2) As consequence to the above note, I'm gonna use the potty at every passing period/break. :wink:
3) My district is starting a workout program after school at the main office. I plan to join. Schools tend to have a lot of exercise/workout options available. Look to see what your school offers. In addition to the workout program, our weight room is always open to teachers. Your school/district might offer similar things, ask around. Even if they don't, you can probably find some other teachers who are wanting a good workout and you could start your own unofficial group. I know a few years ago and my school, there was a group of teachers who met every day after school in various classroom and worked out to exercise dvds together. Your school probably might also have a track. If nothing else, you can probably find a walking/jogging/running partner (or heck do it by yourself), and walk/jog/run the track after school.
4) I bought a big lunch bag. It wasn't even called a lunch bag it was called "insulated duffel bag," lol. It's not the size of a duffel bag, no worries, but it is bigger than a standard lunch bag. This way I can take my lunch + snacks to work. Snacks are important for keeping the metabolism up and not getting overly hungry! Not sure what my schedule will be like, but I'm pretty sure I can eat a few carrots in the classroom, even if the kids are in there.
5) I am going to keep a few snacks in the room for days I work late. Nothing that will overly tempt me like 100 cal cookies that I can eat 4 or 5 of in one sitting. Maybe some microwave popcorn, granola bars, that kind of thing.
6) For my own mental health and energy, I am not going to work late all the time. I don't get paid any extra whether I work to 4:15 pm or 8:15 pm, so no late nights! Last year, toward the end of the year, I had burned myself working late all the time that I set a "never passed 5 pm" rule for myself and stuck to it for the most part (unless planning for a sub). I will most likely reinforce that rule early in the year.
7) I am going to get up early on my c210k days to get my "run" in. It is hard to wake up early, but I want that guaranteed time to run.
8) I am going to keep gum in my desk and purse so I can turn down the sweet snacks the school and kids bring.
9) I am going to take the stairs faster and look for other ways to get added exercise in throughout the day.

Ok, that's all I can think of right now. If you have any plans to make this thing work in what we all know is a very stressful environment, please share. And, good luck!!! :bigsmile: in both next school year and healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, may I suggest almonds as a snack? They are my favorite go to snack. I teach too, but I am a homeschool mom . . .
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You have some very do-able guidelines laid out for yourself. I work in an elementary school & the food treats brought in from our talented staff & parents is always a huge temptation for me. Last year I avoided the teachers lounge as much as I could. Having snacks handy is a great idea, I think I'll try that as a "just in case." Some days I would come home "famished." That's when bad decisions happen. Thanks for sharing & have a great school year!
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey! You sound SO motivated. Fantastic! I'm a little nervous about going back tomorrow too. Last year whenever I was marking (english teacher so usually lots of essays on the marking pile), I felt the need to have a biscuit or ten! I'm doing the same as you... I'm taking lots of water in and I'm going to make sure I have plenty of snacks at hand should I get hungry. I'm also going to try and be uber prepared and take lunch in every day.

My big thing above all else for this year though is to limit the work I do at night. I know it will have to happen on occasion but last year it started happening almost every night when i got home. I'm going to leave all my work in the classroom and I'm not staying past 5! I was so cranky by the end of last term because I was so worn out. Not good!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!

I, too, teach and started this a few weeks after school was out. I plan on taking my lunches and water to school, too. I got a key to the weight room and plan to check it out (but, no promises YET till I see how it looks and who hangs out in it after school).

I plan on walking a bit during lunch, from one end of the building to the other, twice, if time allows; that's my plan anyway.

I'm NEVER going to the cafeteria!!!! Toooooo much good, fattening food (and our lunches are free).

I like your never past five rule....I know what you mean about staying late and working. There's so much to do. People complain about how teachers get summers off and have an 8:00--3:00 job....but, the job NEVER ends, and definately NOT at 3:00. I am trying not to burn out by late nights, too.

Good luck to all the teachers out there and hope you all have a good year.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Goodness! Sounds like you have a plan!
    I teach preschool, so my job has a lot of exercise already built in....picking up 3 year olds repeatedly throughout the day, pushing swings on the playground, kickball/basketball....not to mention just plain having to chase kids down through the school. haha!
    I really like your ideas about having extra snacks to help the metabolism. I think I will do that, and also find extra little times for exercise throughout the day as you have suggested.
    One thing I have done to help me stay away from the sweets the school and kids have is drinking coffee. I keep a bottle of french vanilla creamer in the fridge in my room. Whenever the staff-room has cake or cookies sitting out for us, I always just grab coffee and sweeten it with my flavored creamer. It only adds about 30 cals at most, and helps my sweet craving. Not to mention the caffeine boost!
    Good luck with your year!!
  • mamathrash2
    mamathrash2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am also a teacher starting back to school tomorrow. We do not have a weight room and the neighborhood around the school is...um....how to word it.....NOT safe so there will be no walking during lunch or after school. I also have a bag of healthy snacks packed and a bowl of fruit in the fridge to take with me tomorrow. I like my water to be really cold so I just bought 2 20 ounce reusable bottles for school and plan to keep a couple of extra bottles there (our water is also nasty and has a unexplainable yellowish tint). I only plan on eating school lunch on salad days but taking my own dressing. I don't have the issue of late nights because I have 3 year old twins that have to be picked up by 5:30 so I am always out of school by 5:00 but end up taking a bagful home most nights. My plan this year is to only bring stuff home with me on Tuesday, Thursday and weekends. I have already got so many compliments with only 10.4 pounds gone that I keep getting motivated to work out harder!!!! Good luck this year everyone :)
  • msage38
    msage38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome plan! We have been in all last week for in-services, but Wednesday kids come back,,,IKE! I need to get a new lunch box, but I have a fridge and microwave in my room. My husband bought 9 gallon jugs of water before the so-called hurricane Emily was supposed to hit where we live so I plan on bringing a couple gallons to school with me, because I tend to drink the 24 oz cup I have and forget/don't have a chance to refill it. If it's already is in my room I don't have a choice. I gained 20 pounds last year and I am sure it was due to the treats brought in my the faculty or my laziness in the morning deciding that it was easier to buy school lunch rather than make my own...

I also have a huge addiction to ice cream! Blue Bell ice cream is AMAZING! I have limited ice cream to Sundays only and a normal serving not the whole carton! :) I am doing very well with that! Hopefully, I can last during the school year!

I won't get much workouts in unless I can force myself out of bed early in the morning to get a workout in. I am starting graduate school and have classes most nights... I CAN DO THIS!
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WTG Kim, If anyone can make it happen, its you. You have a well thought out plan and i am sure you will implement it. Hooray for teachers. You rock!
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    WTG Kim, If anyone can make it happen, its you. You have a well thought out plan and i am sure you will implement it. Hooray for teachers. You rock!
  • kimi131
    Options

You are SO sweet and a great friend!! :D
  • kimi131
    Options
    You are all awesome!! I love the like-minded thinking of teachers. We do, indeed, rock!!! :D Good luck everyone! Figure out what works for you and stick to it!!
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    in ontario we have a rule that students need to participate in at least 20 mins of Daily Physical Activity (DPA) outside of gym. Some teachers put on a dvd and the kids workout while the teacher is on the computer. i do it with them. at gym, i play too, at recess, i will skip with some of them or just skip on my own while supervising. good luck!