High volume, low cal evening snacks

Options
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some suggestions for sweet or savory evening snacks that had a lot of volume but not a lot of calories. I’m thinking of things like stevia sweetened almond milk or a big bowl of fiber one cereal with unsweetened almond milk I can just make pretty easily and satisfy my grumbling belly but not be so calorie dense as to kill my deficit for the day. Thank you! You guys always have suggestions I’ve never thought of.

Replies

• kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are all pretty high volume low cal. I like the sugar snap peas you can buy in a bag prewashed, that way I just pop em open and eat like a bag of chips.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    In the south there is a popular salad made with cucumbers onion, acv, water, and Lawry's seasoning. It is super simple, very low calorie, and if you like vinegar quite delicious. You start with the cucumber and onion in a bowl. Add the ACV, then add water and Lawry's until you like the way it tastes.

ETA: Some people will add tomato too. I personally think it works with lots of vegetables.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yeah, popcorn. I just use regular microwave popcorn. An entire bag is just over 300 calories and a LOT of volume.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Baked cheese puffs. Slightly higher calorie than popcorn but still a decent amount of volume for the calories (130 calories per ~3 cup serving).

Outside of that vegetables are my go to choice. I dip them in a mixture of everything bagel seasoning, parmesan cheese, and salt and they are surprisingly satisfying. Calories in the vegetables are negligible and the seasoning blend is only something like 25 calories per tablespoon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Yogurt and a lot of berries. Strawberries are popping in my garden and I'm picking over a pint a day. I have 80 grams with my yogurt for only 26 calories.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Fruit popsicles. The ones we have (not at home so can't look it up right now) are 45 calories for a good sized popsicle (long like Firecracker, fat like fudgsicle). 4 flavors in the box, and can take time to consume so you feel like it is high volume.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    • Popcorn
    • Pickles
    • Halo Top
    • Berries
    • String Cheese
    • Kale Chips
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Greek yogurt with frozen berries and chocolate PB2 powder. Raw veggies with vinegar-based or yogurt-based dip (branch out beyond carrots and celery to jicama, celeriac, hakurei turnips, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, . . . .).

Some people here like a thing called "protein fluff" . . . the whole concept sounds revolting to me, but lots of people like it, and I'm sure you could find a recipe here via the search function.

Then there's this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do fiberone cereal 60 cals a serving with almond milk and a 🍌
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Another fan of popcorn, here. I have a microwave popper that I love. Put kernels in the bottom, add a teaspoon of coconut oil, pop the lid on and 2 mins later you're done.

I sprinkle mine with onion salt. Delicious.

PS: This is the only thing I use coconut oil for. It truly gives the popcorn a wonderful flavour. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if I'm in the mood for something sweet, instead, some frozen Greek yogurt with fresh berries hits the sweet spot.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Chopped zucchini with a sprinkle of nuts
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Popcorn!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Chopped zucchini with a sprinkle of nuts

What is?? Intrigued.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My favorites for super high volume and are cucumber, pickles, strawberries, watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe.

Some other lower calorie items that also make an appearance in my diet are fudgesicles, yasso bars, popcorn, plain cheerios, an microwaved apple chopped up and sprinkled with cinnamon.
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Watermelon!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another fan of popcorn, here. I have a microwave popper that I love. Put kernels in the bottom, add a teaspoon of coconut oil, pop the lid on and 2 mins later you're done.

I sprinkle mine with onion salt. Delicious.

PS: This is the only thing I use coconut oil for. It truly gives the popcorn a wonderful flavour. :)

I do this^. My Presto Popper bowl is wonderful. I like using Kernel Seasons toppings.....ranch and nacho cheddar are favorites. The kettle corn flavor was disappointing until I added cinnamon.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This is not answering your question, but I eat whole boiled eggs twice a day, and they kill cravings. I think it is because I get satisfied from the fatty yoke. It really does help.