Always hungry after dinner

Options
lonff
lonff Posts: 6 Member
Hi there! I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Every night, no matter what I eat for dinner (or how much of it), I always seem to still be hungry afterwards. This would usually lead to me snacking - I'm trying to stop doing this now but it means I'm just left hungry even though I've had a meal. Does anyone have any tips for this? :)

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I reserve a chunk of calories for the evening because I like to have something before bed. Then I work the rest of my day's calories around it.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Have a drink of water before dinner and eat slower.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're eating enough, it's cravings, not hunger. Either decide not to snack, or make room for snacks in your allowance. What's your height and weight, and your calorie target, and do you hit it before you start to snack?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Do you cook your own meals? Try doing the dishes right after dinner, that always kills my snacking lol.
  • erinpatsy
    erinpatsy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I reserve calories for that because I’m always hungry right before bed, too!
  • lonff
    Options
    If you're eating enough, it's cravings, not hunger. Either decide not to snack, or make room for snacks in your allowance. What's your height and weight, and your calorie target, and do you hit it before you start to snack?

I'm 5'7, 180lb, on just under 1,700 calories. I am hitting it before I start to get hungry and snack again so maybe it is just cravings!
    I like everyone's suggestions of saving calories for later so maybe I'll try and do that. I just wish I could feel full after a meal. I'm quite new to this though so maybe I'll figure it out as I go.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day and include my evening snack. I know I will be hungry/craving so instead of being miserable, I plan for it.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find I like having something sweet to look forward to, so I plan ahead to factor in a treat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lonff wrote: »

I'm 5'7, 180lb, on just under 1,700 calories. I am hitting it before I start to get hungry and snack again so maybe it is just cravings!
    I like everyone's suggestions of saving calories for later so maybe I'll try and do that. I just wish I could feel full after a meal. I'm quite new to this though so maybe I'll figure it out as I go.

Maybe you should up your calories just a little bit (you're quite tall), 100-200 more can make a big difference. Play around with meal times and frequencies, And check out "the hunger scale" to separate hunger from cravings.
  • lonff
    Options
    Maybe you should up your calories just a little bit (you're quite tall), 100-200 more can make a big difference. Play around with meal times and frequencies, And check out "the hunger scale" to separate hunger from cravings.

That's an interesting idea! I hadn't considered upping my calories to be honest because MFP has had me on a lot lower before now (near 1,200 - I always gave up after a couple of days). The number I have now came from a body weight planner, and I guess it seemed like a lot in comparison. But adding an extra 100 or so would actually make things feel easier. The hunger scale looks like it'll be helpful too. Thank you!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

That's an interesting idea! I hadn't considered upping my calories to be honest because MFP has had me on a lot lower before now (near 1,200 - I always gave up after a couple of days). The number I have now came from a body weight planner, and I guess it seemed like a lot in comparison. But adding an extra 100 or so would actually make things feel easier. The hunger scale looks like it'll be helpful too. Thank you!

I had to add 100 calories to what it originally gave me as well. Made a world of difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between actually being hungry and having a habit of eating after dinner or cravings.
  • lonff
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I had to add 100 calories to what it originally gave me as well. Made a world of difference.
    That's good to know! I think I might give it a try.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Every night, no matter what I eat for dinner (or how much of it), I always seem to still be hungry afterwards. This would usually lead to me snacking - I'm trying to stop doing this now but it means I'm just left hungry even though I've had a meal. Does anyone have any tips for this? :)

Are you eating Whole Foods versus professed Foods? Does your dinner include enough proteins and fats? Are you eating enough calories? Any fiber?
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have some melon like Cantaloupe, and extra water. Though some nights I actually like feeling a bit hungry
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    add foods with fiber and protein to your meals - for example if you're making scrambled eggs, add some sauteed kale or a few TB of leftover cooked quinoa. If you eat cheese, have it on a whole grain wasa cracker. Making a salad? put 1/4 cup black beans or chickpeas in there. That stuff has some calories of course but maybe will make you feel more satisfied.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth after dinner. It's likely just cravings. I don't ever want to eat once I have minty fresh breath :)
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Like others here, I reserve calories for after-dinner snacks.

I guess it's all about what works best for you when spreading the calorie allowance over the day. Some are hangry in the morning, others go apekitten when they don't get a distended stomach in the evening or something nice as a nightcap. I am of the latter - tiny morning snack, small lunch, big dinner and post-dinner snack. Why swim against the current...
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I go for a dog walk right after dinner to give my body time to digest and time for those satiety cues to kick in. Or instead of a walk, I have a shower and brush my teeth. Either way, I get myself away from the kitchen for at least 30-60 minutes to 'recalibrate' lol.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or bored? What are you doing after dinner? Why not look at learning a new skill, playing boardgames with friends, going for a walk, whatever you like?

And MFP doesn't have you on a default 1200. You most likely put yourself there by choosing a too high deficit.