Eating before bed

Options
I work night shift ,usually get in around 5am walk the dog then I'm hungry! If I do not eat before I go to sleep I wake up earlier than normal ie instead of getting my 8hours I only get 4 this then has big knock on effect for the rest of the working week for me!
Does it have any adverse effects on weight loss eating before sleep?
I usually have porridge made with milk with some banana through it can anyone recommend any other foods to tide me till I get up?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Meal timing does not affect weight loss. As long as you're in an overall deficit, you will lose. I also like to have food on my stomach when I go to bed.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% of my calories right before bed. I haven't had trouble losing weight or meeting my goals eating like this.
    Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit not what time you eat.
  • robert1666
    robert1666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheers folks
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yep, its ok to eat before bed. I find something with protein helps me sleep better.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    wasabi almonds
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to eat enough, and get enough, preferably, undisturbed sleep. When and what to eat, is up to you.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I eat 90% of my calories right before bed. I haven't had trouble losing weight or meeting my goals eating like this.
    Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit not what time you eat.

This.
    Okay, maybe not 90% in my case, but my biggest meal of the day (both in calories and volume - think 30 oz salad with 7 oz chicken + maybe a beer/wine or chocolate) goes in straight before bed, sometimes IN bed watching a movie. Absolutely no impact on weightloss when I was losing since I was still in a deficit, and no impact on maintenance now.

It just boils down to preference and/or sleep quality afterwards. Do what's best for you.