Staying on track...when it gets hard

Options
I need a little support tonight...I’m struggling with a lack of progress - going up and down same two pounds, over and over again. And yes, I know all the mantras - the patience, the water weight, the normal fluctuations. Doesn’t help my mental game though!

What do you guys do to push through those stalled weeks and stay on track?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    After a month I decide I’m in maintenance and cut some calories. I could also tighten up my logging but either way will work.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Scour the "success" thread on MFP!!!! haha
    It is the hardest thing - I've just come out of a month of "playing" with the same 2 or 3 pounds, essentially I didn't lose any weight for all of May even though I followed the same guidelines that helped me lose steadily throughout Feb, March and April. I took a 10-day break from the scale and just decided to trust the process. You can guess the outcome...weight came off and I'm back on track! I'm glad I did that.
    I completely relate to the frustration though! If you know you're eating well and stay committed, you'll be okay.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If I'm frustrated I go for a run/swim/to the gym. The purpose of that is it prevents me from eating my feelings and I'm doing something productive towards my goal. I know water weight/bloatinghappens and weight loss is not linear, but sometimes when I've "gained" my rational self isn't present. So exercise helps.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Go check out the Myth of Motivation in the most helpful posts section pinned at the top of this forum. It's great!!!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    How’s your food diary? Check all your assumptions. Rework your numbers. If you’ve lost a significant amount, do you need to reset your calories to reflect your new weight?

Agree with @Calliope610, trust the process. Do the process, the scale will follow.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I look at my weight loss history to see how far I’ve come - and try to tell myself to be patient. Or, maybe I’ll try to do something different - like eat at maintenance level for a few days, or don’t log for a day, or drink lots of water for several days, or take a couple of rest days from exercise. Anything to change things up, so I’m not doing the same thing. Sometimes I’ll try on clothes to see how they fit.

But, overall, I’m a bit down on myself when this happens. No way to easily get through it. Just sort of try to start each day as a new opportunity to lose. It’s made me realize that I tend to ignore my accomplishments in favor of feeling bad about myself for perceived failures. It also has made me realize that my sense of time is off. When I don’t lose for a few weeks, I feel as if I haven’t lost for months.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    When I get truly frustrated, I take a mental day. I eat at maintenance and only work out if I truly want to. I'll curl up with a book and just chill. The one day in "chill mode" helps me refocus.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just keep with it. Make sure you're doing everything right-- weigh out your food, drink that water, get in your exercise, and if your calorie goal hasn't changed recently, update it. (in MFP go into diary settings and change your weight goal to maintenance, exit the app, and then change it back to 1 or 2 pounds. That'll force it to update your calorie goals for your current weight. Sometimes it doesn't do it on its own.)

When you know you're in the clear as far as method goes, then just sit back and keep plugging away at it. As others said, trust the process. Maybe take measurements and track those for a while instead, if that helps.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips! All true, and kindly delivered. I think I just need to stick with it. I’m weighing and measuring, and know I should be losing - actually I may need to increase my net calories. So, exercise instead of stress eating. Lots of fruit and veg. And wait for the magic to happen B) Happy weekend everyone!