Being Transgender and Personal Comfort

Options
Being trans in the gym can be hard, I’m not going to lie. I’ve cried in the gym before. I’ve cried and asked myself “why me?” I look around in the gym and see cis men who are jacked and they only show up 1/7 days of the week. I’m on progesterone, which affects weight gain and cravings. I’ve learned to control my cravings through a vegan diet and have maintained a healthy weight. My body may not be perfect, but progress is visible. I’ve gone from a chest deemed size “extra large” to “small” in less than a year. I’m proud.

Replies

• acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congrats on sticking to a gym routine. You're not doing this for anyone but yourself. Keep up the great work!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're making great progress already. I can tell you there are tons of cis men that find themselves struggling to put on muscle as well, so do not think that you are any less of a man just because your still a "work in progress" on that front. You have every right to be proud of where you are at, and if you keep working at it things will only get better :smile:
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're doing an amazing job! Keep going. There are people out there cheering you on.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There are always going to be people who get the results you want yet (seemingly) put in little effort. That stinks. But one thing to keep in mind is that you're getting there. You're working hard and seeing results. It takes time, but you'll see more progress if you keep it up.

The other thing is that those other guys might have struggles that aren't apparent just from seeing them in the gym sometimes. It's hard to know how long they've been working out or what they do when you aren't seeing them at the gym. It's easy to get discouraged at the gym, but the results that look effortless to an observer are usually a lot harder to achieve than they seem.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Being trans in the gym can be hard, I’m not going to lie. I’ve cried in the gym before. I’ve cried and asked myself “why me?” I look around in the gym and see cis men who are jacked and they only show up 1/7 days of the week. I’m on progesterone, which affects weight gain and cravings. I’ve learned to control my cravings through a vegan diet and have maintained a healthy weight. My body may not be perfect, but progress is visible. I’ve gone from a chest deemed size “extra large” to “small” in less than a year. I’m proud.

As already mentioned, don't compare yourself to others. It's a pointless distraction. Also, these guys you mention could lift at home or at another gym or whatever. You don't really know so don't let that bother you.

I'm glad you are proud of yourself, as you should be. Focus on that and keep going!
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I’m not going to deny that what you’re doing or dealing with is hard. You have every right to feel discouraged or frustrated. But you’re doing it, and you’re working toward being who you want to be. And that is awesome and admirable. Keep it up!!! 🤗
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. Don't bother comparing yourself to others, it's not worth it. Just keep working on you and be the best version of you possible.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It may take you more time to get to the same place, but hard work, determination and grit will win every time. As a female that trains calisthenics, I have to be stronger than a man (1.37x according to research) to be able to do the same skills. It's going to take me 2-4x longer. My male gym buddy that's been watching me train the back lever for a while now, decided to give it a try and nailed it first time. Yes, I'm envious, but it is what it is. If I end up in the same place, it doesn't matter how I got there. Just keep showing up. You are doing great!