Add protein without fat?

Options
OK, I am constantly losing the "eating healthy (to lose weight)" battle when it come to protein and fat. I am always short on the protein grams unless I am too far over the fat grams.
Fish tends to upset my stomach, and
I'm so sick of chicken!
I bought some protein powder (plant-based/pea protein), but can only tolerate adding one spoonful (3 g protein) to my scrambled eggs or oatmeal.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That is funny as I just posted having the OPPOSITE issue. I am super high on protein but way too loo on fat.

I eat chicken breast and eggs, but most of my protein is plant based. I added a home-made protein bar (for maximum protein - calorie punch). I eat lentils, quinoa. Fish can be good. Steel Cut Oats might be better on protein VS oatmeal? maybe?

Generaly protein powder has to be mixed in more. Like a smoothie or some type of bar/cookie. I make these, without the stevia and added a few peanut butter choco chips. I can't really imagine it in eggs or oatmeal.
    https://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2015/05/31/mocha-brownie-protein-bars/
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your question?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SeeksJoy25 wrote: »
    I am always short on the protein grams unless I am too far over the fat grams.

I'd reduce the fat.. then you'll have more options. Are you having lots of nuts/seeds? That's a common culprit.
    Anyway, to answer your question - egg whites.. clams/scallops/shrimp/etc.. skim milk..
    What are your protein and fat goals?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    These kinds of questions usually come when people tamper with the settings. So how's your macro split?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to increase your protein intake without increasing fat intake. A can of tuna, for instance, is 100% protein and 0% fat. That's extreme, of course. Egg whites are protein. Peanut powder is protein. Tofu and other soy products are mostly protein. All beans are mostly protein, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about MFP's default macro settings...you don't have to be bang on your macros to be eating healthy. Many people manually adjust their macros to fit their individual preferences.

I personally wouldn't worry about it, but lean sources of protein would be fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, non fat greek yogurt, egg whites, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Being over the MFP fat default almost every single day has not hindered my weight loss. It's total calories that matter for that.

Unless you have a medical reason to be low fat, don't sweat it.
  • CostaPe851
    CostaPe851 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sprouts
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Plant based whole food proteins are probably your best choice, since they tend to be primarily carb/protein combos instead of fat/protein combos.

I don't think that is correct, whey protein is a good option and has virtually no fat...

For example Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey Double Rich Chocolate has 120 calories, 24g protein, and 1g of fat per scoop. Compared to Raw Meal Real Raw Vanilla (plant-based) has 115 calories, 20g protein, and 1.5g fat per scoop.

@SeeksJoy25 many people dislike the taste of pea protein (including me). I think you will like the whey protein options much more.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is lower fat (about 1 g per serving) and has about 24 g protein. A 4 tbsp serving of hemp powder has 13 g of protein and only 3 grams of fat. These two make good options, depending on your exact needs.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Ostrim Jerky sticks. 80 calories, 14g of protein and just 1.5g of fat.

Or, fat free milk, fat free greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese have decent amounts of protein.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on low-fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese. These are pretty efficient protein sources. Best I can think of outside of fish/chicken/protein powder/egg whites.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ..but also don't worry about going over the fat macro number. (If anything make sure you are getting enough rather than trying to get less than a certain amount).
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I see the fat and protein macros as minimums, not maximums. I focus on getting enough protein, fat and carbs fall wherever they fall. Usually fat is over 60% of my diet, I guess I really like fat.
  • AveriaKyle
    AveriaKyle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have some unsweetened soy milk. Good protein source, very little fat n boosts ur fiber intake too.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    AveriaKyle wrote: »
    Have some unsweetened soy milk. Good protein source, very little fat n boosts ur fiber intake too.

Im intrigued - I’ve never seen unsweetened soya milk. Does it have a comparable taste? Why is it usually sold sweetened?
  • AveriaKyle
    AveriaKyle Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Im intrigued - I’ve never seen unsweetened soya milk. Does it have a comparable taste? Why is it usually sold sweetened?

Hmm. I live in Singapore. Unsweetened soy milk can be found often in grocery stores. Some of the brands that carry unsweetened soy milk are Marigold, Nutrisoy and HomeSoy. Or in foodstalls like Mr. Bean.

It tastes more plain than the sweetened variety.
    Perhaps the reason why not everywhere sells it becos ppl tend to like sweet drinks more? So that u will come back i guess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Interesting. I've never seen it sweetened.