Book recommendations

Options
macenro
macenro Posts: 160
I am running out of books to read, so I was hoping everyone at MFP could help me. What are some books that you loved that you think I (and everyone) should read.

I love murder mysteries and spy novels, but I'll give anything a try.

Replies

• TheShelterCat
    Options
    Almost finished reading "The Help" and it may be one of the best books I've read in a lonnnggg time. I've been laughing, in suspense and almost in tears the entire way through (minus the beginning which always takes some time getting into). :)
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i am finishing up Last Man Standing by David Baldacci> It's a spy novel. Good book and author.
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi! I've just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green. And it's really a good book. :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well for some health reading, I'd read The Omnivore's Dilemma. But other than that the Dexter books turned out to be interesting to me.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    LOL After finishing my post and going back to read it, your pic finally uploaded- sorry the book may not be what you were looking for. :P
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Three by Ted Dekker.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I loved "the Help." (who knew you could gag and laugh at the same time?!)
    Heaven is for Real.
    Anything by James Patterson.
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    Options
    my husband doesnt really like to read (unless its true crime) but he just read Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard in one day. so maybe that would be a good one for you to try! im going to get him a dexter book next because its along those lines.
    <3
  • macenro
    Options
    LOL After finishing my post and going back to read it, your pic finally uploaded- sorry the book may not be what you were looking for. :P

Whoa sexism. haha I'm guessing it is geared more towards women.
  • andeygirl
    andeygirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:

Dennis Lehane's series about a couple of detectives in Boston plus 'Shutter Island' and 'Mystic River'

Bryan Gruley: 'Starvation Lake' and 'The Hanging Tree'

Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan: 'The Strain', 'The Fall' and 'Eternal Night' comes out this fall

John Twelve Hawks:' The Traveler', 'The Dark River' and 'The Golden City'

Boyd Morrison: 'The Ark' and 'Rogue Wave'

I'm a big Stephen King fan and I read lots of chick lit, too, but the ones I listed above are things that I think guys might enjoy, too.

Enjoy!
  • macenro
    Options
    Here are all the last few books I have read if anyone was interested.

Tell-All by Chuck Palahniuk
    The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
    Dead Irish by John T. Lescroart
    Detective by Parnell Hall
    All The Pretty Girls by J.T.Ellison
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    How I became a Famous Novelist, by Steve Howe. Great humorous fiction.

The Moon Voyage by Jules Verne. Fantastic book imagining a trip to the moon set in the 1860s.

I am currently reading "Sex on the Moon" by Ben Mizrich. Its a true story about a guy that steals some moon rocks. Ben Mizrich is the guy that wrote "21" and "The Social Network". Excellent.
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    For Whom the Bells Tolls - one of my all-time favourites.

I just finished reading a series by Ruth Downie - the first book is called Medicus. They were surprisingly entertaining.
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tami Hoag- Deeper than the Dead

John Sandford - Buried Prey

Lee Child - Any of his Jack Reacher series.

I'll have to look for some others. Just took tons of books to work for people.

Sue
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    Almost finished reading "The Help" and it may be one of the best books I've read in a lonnnggg time. I've been laughing, in suspense and almost in tears the entire way through (minus the beginning which always takes some time getting into). :)

i just read this too and really liked it a lot. As far as other books i would reccomend, im a huge Dean Koontz fan, especially the Odd Thomas series
  • ajpequin
    ajpequin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i just read this too and really liked it a lot. As far as other books i would reccomend, im a huge Dean Koontz fan, especially the Odd Thomas series

Oooh! I love Dean Koontz too. Fear Nothing is one of my favorite books. The book I would recommend to anyone is The Alchemist.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Bossypants by Tina Fey.
    More of an autobiography, but if you like her on tv/movies... you will looovve the book!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I really enjoyed this series.
    They're making it into a movie!
  • TheShelterCat
    Options

Whoa sexism. haha I'm guessing it is geared more towards women.

Hahaha!! :blushing:
  • radgurl08
    Options
    The Murder Room and Haunt Me Still are both very good...